Multiplayer Wii?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jakeguy99, Feb 7, 2007.

1. jakeguy99 macrumors regular

jakeguy99

I have been seeing hints or rumors that they are possibly making an upgrade that will allow the wii to play games online against other players. Now i do not know that this is true, i am just trying to figure out if it is indeed in the planning. I personally think the wii online would be absolutely amazing and change the way of console multiplayer gaming.

2. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

In Japan the Wii Pokemon game is already online so I'd say it's not a matter of if but when we see online Wii games outside of Japan.

4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Well, yeah. Nintendo has said it will come online, that's not an issue. *When* is the issue.

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I remember reading Spring '07.

I have nothing to reference to, but I remember reading it somewhere.

I'm personally expecting it late Spring or early Summer.

6. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I think you're a little more optimistic than me. I'm thinking late summer or early fall. I'm wondering if Metroid will be their big flagship for online capabilities

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I read that super smash bros will be the fist wii game to be online.

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

9. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Yeah I agree. While I sympathize with people that say that multiplayer would take away from the solo experience, I disagree. Mainly, because I have Metroid Prime Hunters and without the lock-on feature, Metroid plays like any other frag shooter...Hopefully, Nintendo can show all of the other developers how to do a mutiplayer shooter so that we don't have anymore garbage like Red Steel's week sauce mutiplayer mode and controls.

10. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

SSB would be a good first online game, when is it suppose to come out?

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Same here, I've played plenty of multiplayer games that had excellent solo play.

The early review I read of M3 was very promising, stating the controlls are great. Retro Studios unlike parts of UbiSoft, at least gives a care about making a good game and not just slapping out vomit to be the first Wii game on the block. I traded my copy of Red Steel for a Classic Controller. :)

<]=)

Amazon states June 30.

<]=)

12. jakeguy99 thread starter macrumors regular

jakeguy99

Good for business

The Wii multiplayer will basically revolutionize the way online consol games will be played. And for once it may actually depend more on skill than the past games with controllers. Whatever they decide to do i really hope it is soon, and i believe that it will be great for business. Their previous online capabilities have really hurt business hence the horrible gamecube.

13. pcypert macrumors 6502

How exactly? I know the Wii online will be cool and fun and all...but what about it specifically will "revolutionize"?

Paul

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

This is what I'm wondering because from my point of view...it will be the same as the PS3 and xbox...only change I see is how they go about it..either like live or like the PSN.

What will make it so revolutionary?

Bless

15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'm curious myself, since Nintendo is not known for its expertise with online and gaming and communities. I mean the potential is there for something big though.

16. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I don't expect anything "revolutionary" from the Wii online play. If they build a community like Xbox Live, then they'll have something, but I don't see it happening.

I expect something along the lines of the DS online play.

17. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I don't think the Wii will revolutionize anything in online gaming. Sony and MS both have it already and they both do a decent job at it. In fact the whole Wii code thing is quite annoying, they would have been better off going with an account on the system similar to how MS and Sony does it.

IIRC Metroid will be the first online play game we will see in NA, we shall see how revolutionary it is. I am not expecting much from it though.

Wii Sports should have been online capable, playing against people in your living room is fun, playing against the world would be more fun :)

Nintendo dropped the ball with online play on the GCN, i wouldnt be at all surprised if they didnt make a lot of use with it on the Wii.

Ed

18. ericsthename macrumors regular

I'm kinda shocked personally that the wii didn't launch with online multiplayer. Just one of those things where if you could ask nintendo's ceo, it would go like this:

"Why the hell didn't you ready an online service to launch with the wii?"

"... well, we really messed up the GCN's online, so we thought: hey, why not be last on the block this time around too?"

I dont know, maybe they are thinking like the tortoise and the hare mentality or something!

19. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Absolutely!

My favorite game is Tennis, but I'm a lot better than the top computer "pro" team as well as any of my family or friends, so it's kinda boring now.

It'll come around though. I don't anticipate it being revolutionary, but it will still be fun, especially since it's free. :)

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Patients, it's right around the corner. :)

I'm expecting more than what the DS offers, considering the Wii has built in storage and isn't limited to a 2-Mbit connection The Cube required a seperate purchase to get online, the Wii does not. Nintendo already has many online features in place. So if Nintendo were to reapeat their mistakes with the Cube, than they clearly have already put in too much effort.

<]=)

21. Moria macrumors regular

Confirmed online games so far are:

Battallion Wars 2 (spelt incorrectly I think)
    Mario Strikers
    Smash Bros Brawl
    Pokemon Battle Revolution
    Forever Blue
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers

There might be a few more too...

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its still not acceptable..If Sony or Microsoft didn't go online right at the start they would of been catching hell right about now so I only think its right we give hell to Nintendo for not doing...haven't we learn from our past mistakes...guess not.

I'm annoyed at the big N for not putting in online games at the start and just relying on that remote but I guess its working because people are eating up the wii.

Bless

23. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Add Dewy's Adventure and Sonic to that list. Brawl and Battalion Wars 2 are the ones I'm looking forward to.

I mostly agree, and it would've been nice for games like Excite Truck to have an online mode. I also find the friend code system annoying. However, it's free so I can't really complain too much ;)

24. ninewhereman macrumors member

The friend codes are really annoying. I hated it on my DS and I am sure I will loathe it on my Wii.

Supposedly online play is coming in March. Can't remember where I read it, but they said expect it in March. I also read that although they will be taking the system online, they haven't given developers any info on how to make their games online multiplayer.

25. jakeguy99 thread starter macrumors regular

jakeguy99

im sure if you send support emails to nintendo and if they receive enough they may actually change the friend code and such.. is there any news of call of duty 3 going online?