multiple accounts using one library (again)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by davejevons, Mar 16, 2005.

1. davejevons macrumors newbie

I appreciate this has been done before but the answers I found from the search don't seem to work in this instance.

I'm trying to get multiple accounts to share the same itunes (and eventually iphoto) library. I have moved my 'iTunes Music' folder to shared and created an alias which is in my user itunes folder. When I use iTunes I can see all of my library.

I did the same for another account, putting the alias in the users:music folder but it doesn't update the library when I go in? Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Do I need to also bring the whole of the iTunes directory including the file 'iTunes 4 Music library' and and the xml document to the shared folder as well?

thanks,

dave.

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Did you move the iTunes Library .xml file, as well? Try that.

3. davejevons thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not yet - do I move both the xml file and the itunes 4 library?

Do I put them within the same 'itunes music' folder or just above it in shared?
    many thanks,

dave

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

It doesn't really matter (IIRC -- I don't have an iTunes install nearby), as long as the users use aliases to point to the same file.