Multiple Accounts?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SC68Cal, Oct 17, 2006.

1. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Hey everyone, just wondering about this:

I have 4 user accounts, for a computer that is mine and mine alone. Does this sound unusual?

1) I have my personal account, which I use on day to day basis, strong password protection (20+ characters) and filevault enabled.

Originally this was my one and only account. It had everything on it. Torrents, Web design, graphics, you name it. It was also my administrator account. The problem is that I want file vault, but having Torrents and downloading large files (like Linux distros) and the such makes filevault choke, making it reclaim space when I log out on a consistent basis.

So I took the following steps:

1) Created a new Administrator account when I purchased my Macbook Pro. It's only purpose is to do what multi-user operating systems Admin accounts are supposed to be for: adding and removing programs and system-wide changes.

2) Added a Torrent account. It's only purpose is to run Torrent programs. No password enabled.

3) Then tonight, I added a new account so that I can more easily manage iWeb. Instead of having to public two sites (my own & an organization that I'm part of), I made an account for the organization so that I can manage just one iWeb site, rather than updating one site and being forced to publish both sites to a folder. No password.

What does everyone think?

The one concern I have is that neither the torrent account or the iWeb account have passwords, and the security risks that it presents. I know in the event of a theft filevault will protect my personal data on my day-to-day account.

2. nadyne macrumors 6502a

It's not too unusual. On my work PowerBook, I have three accounts: my standard account (which is where I spend 95% of my time), an account just for giving presentations (so I never have to worry about getting an IM or a meeting reminder in the middle of a presentation), and an account where I've got the files for running demos.

On my personal MacBook, I've got an account, and my cat has an account. The cat's account is the admin account. I haven't noticed that he's downloaded any pr0n, so I'm not too concerned about him abusing his power. ;)

/nm

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Torrent account?

Don't your torrents stop seeding/leeching as soon as you switch accounts? I know sometimes with large files I have to let them seed for days just to get the ratio up to 1.00... how does this work with your account system? Thanks for any info.

4. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

not when you have fast user switch anabled. you have not to log out.

5. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Cool! Thanks for the tip.