Multiple Apps unexpectedly quiting on launch

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by due time, Jan 14, 2007.

1. due time macrumors newbie

Please help, this one has me stumped.

I cannot launch eyeTV or Quicken without getting the 'Application x has unexpectedly quit' error. Also, Safari repeatibly quits when going to certain web sites like apple.com!

I've tried everything I know and could find on the net:
    Repaired permissions, fsck, start in safe mode, cleaned cache, basically everything at http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/multipleappsquit.html.
    Except fonts. I haven't done a thing (purposefully anyway) to fonts.
    I also got out the Apple hardware test cd and ran that without any reported problems.

I had both eyeTV and Quicken open and working earlier this am, then when I tried to open Quicken again I got the error. I closed everything including eyeTV out and rebooted, and had the problem from there forward. I'd not downloaded or added any apps recently.

Any ideas before I resort to the PC 'reinstall operating system' approach? It seems this must be some kind of operating system thing since it's affecting multiple apps. I doubt reinstalling just those apps will help.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've already spent most of my day trying to get this fixed. iMac G5 1.8GHz, 1.5GB memory, 10.3.9

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Starting in Safe Mode will have refreshed your font caches and given you only the basic fonts. However, that obviously didn't help either.

Anyway, what sort of third party hardware do you have? Is there something plugged in or attached when this happens? :)

3. due time thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an Acomdata harddrive, eyeTV, Epson printer. But I disconnected everything but the keyboard and mouse and it still happens.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried removing a stick of RAM at a time to see if one of them is bad? :)

5. due time thread starter macrumors newbie

No, but I ran Memtest and Apple Hardware test and both said my RAM was ok.

But the good news is it's fixed! I took it to the genius bar tonight. The kind lady did a archive and install. That cleared it up. I had been reluctant to do that on my own because I didn't know how much might get 'lost'. I had to reload a few apps (iTunes, Palm), and run software update on a bunch of stuff, but it seems to be good now without doing the big nasty -> reformat and reload.

Thanks for your advice.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate, I'm glad it's fixed. FWIW, those memory apps are pretty pathetic at finding bad memory but that doesn't matter now anyway. :)