multiple boots question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by klav, Feb 16, 2003.

1. klav macrumors newbie

Can I possibly install iMac on pc? I have an OS 10.2 CD and I'm not sure what is the imac partition type. I just want to try something new.

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Re: multiple boots question

Uhhh...ok correct me if I'm missing something here, but you want to install OS 10.2 onto a Windows-compatible PC, right? Well any Mac systems (like 10.2) won't run on a PC, since they use different processors and stuff. I'm not sure what you mean by "install iMac on pc", since iMac is a model of Mac computer, not software. If you just meant installing your 10.2 software onto a PC, then no you can't do that...it won't run.

As for partition types, I believe Mac OS X will run on HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) and UFS (Unix File System) formatted drives. Windows-compatible PCs use something different, I'm not really sure.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: multiple boots question

They use FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. FAT being "File Allocation Table."

is this some kind of a joke? lol.

4. klav thread starter macrumors newbie

how about if I use partition magic to convert harddisk into HFS+? Sorry for missing "imac on pc", I meant by OS X.

5. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

sorry, this isn't actually about the file system at the most basic level; you need a powerPC CPU... go read the minimum system requirements for os X.

6. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

there is talk of an x86 version of OS X but i expect we won't see it for atleast a year, and it'll probably be crap.

7. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Well, there are items similar to VPC is, SoftMac i think I saw at macworld. You can try that, but you still won't have a mac, you need apple hardware for a mac. May I suggest a $999 ibook? Or a lowend tower if you want a good mac. Running it in emulation can only be asking for trouble, and it will probably be a big waste of your time, go buy a mac on ebay or new from apple, it will be best.

8. klav thread starter macrumors newbie

.....I have mac. Otherwise, I would not have the jaguar CD.

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

here is your answer to solve any confusion. its impossible, you just cant do it. its like asking if you can run your suburban off water instead of gas, just cant be done. and thats all there is to it. hope that helped you out.

iJon

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

if you have a mac, that's great. you can put jaguar on any macintosh that has better specs than mentioned in the minumum requirements i cited, and there are some who go even lower than that and still manage. however, you did indeed say that you wanted this on a PC, which is understood in this community and the general public to refer to x86 pentium/amd based computers, which you can't run OS X on except in emulation, if then. let me personally guarantee that any emulation would be slower than molasses and annoy you to no end.

..... what iJon said :).

11. klav thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you tried the emulation by yourself yet? I just want to try that's all but if not possible, well then...

12. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

no. i've never even heard about it. it's just that OS X relies on some instructions in the G4 processor that really speed it up, and doing that on a PC without modding the OS itself (emulation) is inevitably going to be nasty nasty. emulating windows inside of mac OS X is also a nasty task that requires a workhorse of a mac, and you still have to turn off a lot of the eye candy for it to be smooth. with OS X, you can't turn eye candy off, so you have to antialias, render drop shadows, and all sorts of intensive stuff. you are welcome, though, to try out the software that timbloom mentioned. up to you :).