Multiple Choice Question!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Smileyguy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

I'm getting speakers for Christmas. :)

I don't have time to order something online now, so it's go to be whatever is in stock in the stores around town. So my choices are:

JBL Creatures
    Logitech Z640 5.1
    Logitech Z-3

Any recommendations? I've heard the JBL's. They sound good. They weren't as loud as I would have liked, but I couldn't find the volume control on the speakers so maybe that's why. The Z640's are half the price of JBL's, so I doubt they could be better. I don't know anything about the Z-3's.

Please help me! :cool:

2. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I have creatures and Z680 5.1s, i'd say go for the Z3's as cheap surround sound won't be worth it, but the Logitech sub will be a LOT nicer than that of the creatures.

3. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

My only problem with the Z-3's is that I can't "try before I buy".

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I want whatever speakers I buy to hook up to my iPod. Can the Z-3's do that?

4. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

yeah, they can do that. the Z3i looks a lot better IMO…

5. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. ;)

Anyone else care to add any perspective?

6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I think the Creatures are pretty suave, but clash with the simple elegance of a mac.

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

You think? I think they'll quite nice between my G5 and pathetic little Packard Bell 15' LCD.

8. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Packard Bell? Men, I didn't think they were still in business.

9. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, they are. It's a pretty nice-looking little monitor actually. It's white, works well with apple keyboard and mouse. Good picture too for the price.

10. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i have the z3's, bought them a few months ago now. They're good and i got them for a very good price - £25 less than on the highstreet. They are nice sounding speakers that for me were alot cheaper than the creatures, and i didn't want a 5.1 set as i use them for music not games. I thought that a 5.1 would be good for films but i realised that i'd need the decoder(? is that right) in order to get the most of a 5.1 set so i opted for a good sounding 2.1 set. The z3's are a little bassy even on the lowest bass setting but for me i don't find them a problem. They seem to separate out the different partrs of the music much better than the crappy previous set that i had. I highly recommend them for the money. (i paid £50 i think)

Search online for a review, i found a great review with loads of helpful stuff in it by googling. I am no audiophile but to me they sound as good as the creatures but for less money. They also look pretty sharp.

11. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Steve.

They're ninety-nine euro in Argos, which is a bit steep to me, but my only option at this stage. I was thinking the Creatures might be better value for the money (same price), but now I'm not sure.

I'd like to buy speakers with which it's possible to add more units at a later stage. Is this possible with the Z3's or the Creature? The Z-640's are 5.1, but they're so cheap I'm skeptical of the sound quality.

12. Zeke macrumors 6502

Wow, I want a 15' LCD. That's like the size of my wall. :p