Multiple Computer Setup

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by CubaTBird, Mar 26, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

So how many of you guy's use a multiple computer setup? For example, I have a iBook on the top of my desk with a cheap ol' dell 2400 under it. I alternate between the two sometimes.. Any others in a similar situation? :eek:

2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've got my PC and Mac Mini running off a Sony LCD with a KVM and my iBook sitting close by. I use the PC for gaming, the Mini for Garage Band and Macromedia Studio and the iBook for my word processing, internet and e-mail. I need to take a picture to post since I got my Mini a few weeks ago and don't have a pic of the new setup.

3. brap macrumors 68000

Pretty much.

[When it's working] it runs headless as print server, heavy-duty horsepower box and folding@home client. Now all I need is that bloody replacement logic board :eek:

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Count me in the club. At least for half of a year anyway. At home, I got my Mac mini and a PC (used almost solely for gaming). In college I only got the Mac mini though. I plan to streamline my setup, and sell the PC probably during the summer. I mostly game on consoles, and I am finding myself gaming less and less on the PC. So I'm just going to finish off my backlog of few games for the PC, then I'm going to sell it. I doubt I'll miss PC gaming much.

Ok, ok, I've babbled enough. :)

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

iMac G4
    PowerBook G4
    Athlon 2500+ (the FrankenBox! :D)

I use the PowerBook primarily. The iMac folds and is soon to be a HTTP/FTP server, and the FrankenBox.... plays... stuff.... and runs Basilisk II.

6. brap macrumors 68000

See, I'm thinking the same thing. But... Rome: Total War is probably worth the price of the game + a PC to play it on. It's not like I ever play anything else... :rolleyes: :eek:

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

3 PCs (2 Sony desktops + Mac mini) running through a USB+2VGA KVM, and two Sony notebooks, all at one desk.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Count me in, a pretty old HP along with the gorgeous iBook. I've been thinking of replacing the PC with an iMac but I think I'll keep both because there are some instances when XP is easier to work with. Only some!

9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

At any one time I'm using my:
    G5 PowerMac
    17" PB
    TiBook
    12" PB
    Tangerine iBook
    White iBook
    Pismo (finally got one after 5 years waiting :eek: )
    Kanga (org. G3 PB)
    PB 100

10. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hell yeah

PM G5 1.8 is my primary machine, but there's a G4-400, a TiBook (667) an eMac, an Athlon XP-based machine (running SME Server) and an old P2-450 that I use as an ftp server. They're all in daily use =]

I've also still got my old Mac Plus, but whilst it works, I don't actually use it any more :rolleyes:

And I could still find a use for a couple of Mac Minis....... :p

11. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Sure. an Al PB15 and a PowerMac (specs in my sig). A Dell PC running Win98 the sole purpose of which is to run quickbooks - and I loathe the box. Hate the sight of it. But it's a big hit to move to MYOB which would mean I could replace it with (most likely) a Mac Mini. I'll do it one of these days, but the loss of transaction history is a real headache.

Two IBM Thinkpads - both running linux (debian and red hat) but I really don't use them anymore. Another 3 Dell PCs that are in the garage gathering dust. I'll ebay them one of these days. And finally, a Sun Blade 100.

There's 3 iBooks in the house but they're not mine - just funded by me :)

12. tom.96 macrumors regular

So I've got an imac and also... an atari ST. Thats right, I know it is a bit old but I love it, always had a soft spot for them. I love the GUI and the intuitive way they work. I've got shed loads of games for it too - I just love it. I always watch out for second hand st stuff - its good fun!

My dream would be to have a computer lab in my home, with mac, amiga, st etc all there. Man its a geek's idea of heaven :cool:

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I've got my iMac on one desk in my room; while I have an old, cheap PC sitting in the closet that is used as a file server. (occasionally used for remote desktop) Also have another PC sitting about 4 feet away from my Mac on another desk, which I have also installed remote desktop on. I'm so lazy.

edit: I've also got my older Macs sitting around in different corners of the room. And a 3rd PC sitting on my work bench waiting to be taken apart.

14. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

G4 desktop (sawtooth)
    G3 powerbook (lombard)
    G4 powerbook on the way -- after next mac world (not in huge rush)

Actually -- is this possible?

i run my G4 powermac with a 19" Lacie Monitor

i hope to use future powerbook with this monitor in a dual display mode

however, i need to keep my tower around as my Scanner is SCSI, and i don't want to replace it with a USB one + sentimental reasons (first mac and all, i cut my editing teeth with this machine)

my Question is ... does a KMV switch exist that would allow me to run one

keyboard and mouse to work with both the desktop and powerbook (i know i can do it with two desktops)

aslo would it allow me to switch between single monitor of the Desktop, and dual monitor on the laptop?

haven't really come across anything as i'm not even sure what to look for

15. tommy.hanks macrumors newbie

I use 12" Powerbook as my primary machine. I have it hooked to a 19" monitor with desktop spanning enable. Then I have my PC. It is running Windows Server 2003 Standard. The Mac is my development PC, I use Dreamweaver and Photoshop on it, and the PC is my Web, FTP, DNS, E-Mail, and File Server. The link in my sig. is the site that I run off my server.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Sony Vaio P3-600
    PB Al-15
    Soon to have a Toshiba P4 3.02 laptop

Eventually, I'll get rid of the Sony. The Toshiba is part of getting married and what not. I think the Toshiba is going to act like a desktop. She's already decided to get a PB or iB for her next machine. Now, we just have to figure out how to network the two using an AP Express

17. Bonsaichop macrumors member

4 machines,

1) Gigabit g4 upgraded with 733mhz quicksilver overclocked to 840mhz/896mb ram/4x120gig drives in raid.

This machine is the one i use for pretty much everything, video editing (though i need a new processor), surfing net, web design, programming etc. It's hooked to 2x 19" lcd panels so it runs nicley.

2) home-brew, P4 3.2@4ghz, 1024mb ram, 2x 120gig drives in raid.

This is used for folding, games, downloads etc. Basically what i cant do on a mac without a) using too many resources for 1/2 the output b) just cant get on a mac.
    It's hooked up to a 15" lcd + 42" plasma for watching movies off.

3) sony vaio subnotebook p3 750/512mb/60gig
    This is used for msn/icq/email/programming and when im on the go.

4) g3 500mhz ibook @ 650mhz, 640mb ram, 60gig.
    This is what i USED to use for msn/icq/email/programming and when im on the go until it was stolen from my car 2 1/2 hours ago :mad:

18. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

count me in

mini 1.42 Ghz - OS 10.3.8 : daily use
    Athlon 1.4 Ghz - WinXP pro sp2 : gaming, folding, ripping,...
    Yosemite G3 0.3 Ghz - Debian/OS9 dualboot : messing around, marathon
    Palm zire71 : cool desk clock ;)

19. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That really sucks. I hope you can get it back, or hurt the person that took it.

20. Bonsaichop macrumors member

Actually it doesnt really bother me that much, everything important was backed up to my spare ipod (4th gen 40g ipod i won in a contest) which i use for an emergency boot drive. I already called up my insurance and should be getting a cheque in the mail in the new few weeks :) new laptop hunting time!!!

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I used to have that same iBook. If anyone had stolen it (or tried to) I would've been livid. I absolutely LOVE that iBook.

I gave it to my father so it's in good care now.

22. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

See my sig.

I use the powerbook for all of my work. The cube stays for sentimental reasons (my first mac at graphic design college), for occasional Age of Mythology sessions with a friend and for my girlfriend to have a computer at my place (she has an almost 6 year old orange iBook that starts to be a little slow on some tasks).

23. BillHarrison macrumors 6502

Currently I am using my Mac Mini for day to day computing tasks (Email, browsing, Ebay, etc), but still have my "PC" (Dual Athlon XP 3200+) for "Heavy" lifting (Divx recompression, etc.).

I hope to replace the Dual Athlon with a Dual G5 sometime this summer. The mixed environment DOES work, however, I am a fan if clean integration, and that includes having one platform throughout the household.

The mac mini will be relegated to the living room for an HTPC.

Till then, I will be using it for my day to day computing, for which it works perfectly.

Bill