Multiple external drives... set up advice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zim, Apr 27, 2006.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I just purchased a new Lacie d2 250GB drive, this is my third d2 drive. Currently I have my other two, 160 and a 200GB, stacked on top of one another. Does anyone have any objections to the idea of simply putting the new drive on top of the other two? Will there be heat issues? The Lacie drives seem to be pretty good about powering down and never appear to gain much so I don't think it would be an issue. I guess my other option is to put them all in their stands and stand them upright... not interested in buying a desk rack mount.

Thanks for reading, feels like a silly question :)

2. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

you should have no problems stacking 3 that you wouldn't have had stacking 2. My lacie (though it's a porshe, not a d2) runs constantly and it's never gotten very hot. the thing doesn't even have a fan :eek:

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Just make sure there is some airflow around the drives (although D2s are fan cooled). If necessary, rather than lying flat on each other, chopsticks make a decent spacer.

4. Poeben macrumors 6502

I'll save you the hassle of actually going to LaCie's site and looking at the FAQ's:

5. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Oops... how unlike me to not go right to the source, thank you so much for doing that for me!

This line kinda sounds odd: "If you are stacking both hard drives and removable devices, put the hard drives on top." Aren't hard drives typically larger then removable devices? I can just picture someone reading that literally and putting their pocket drive (smaller drive) underneath their full size hard drives :eek:

As of right now I am using just the little rubber feet that they provided with the drives. I will keep your suggestion in mind if see that there is a lot of heat build up. I do a decent amount of video work so that might be cause for creating more air flow.. I am putting the most active drive on top, not sure if that will allow for more cooling.

I personally think that all the lacie's have good air flow and that is why I keep going back to them. Plus I love their case designs :), thanks.

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

when they say removable devices, then mean drive with removable media (ie: cd/dvd drives and such) which would be larger then a hard drive.

7. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Ah! I see now.. thanks for clarifying :D

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For what it's worth, I own 4 d2's (3 drives, one burner) and have found the rack (mentioned above, and available from their site) to be a fantastic asset. Yes, it's pricey for what you get, and no, it doesn't include what it should include (a power adapter with 4 plugs so you don't need 4 separate power bricks), but it's sturdy, it holds the drives securely, and it is attractive. If you have fewer than 4 drives, there's room underneath for storage of small items.

And... you can put the drives in any order, meaning the burners, for example, can go on top where they're easiest to access.

9. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Interesting. $50 bucks is a bit much, that is why I didn't want to consider it. Thanks for the review of the rack, it would be nice if they did make an all in one power supply. I might put the rack on my b-day list ;) not that exciting but could be useful seeing how within a year or so I will most likely be needed yet even more storage.. can never have enough storage :)