Multiple File Info???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JesterJJZ, Dec 29, 2006.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

Jul 21, 2004
    May be a silly question.

I remember I used to be able to highlight a number of different files and hit apple-I to "get info" and one window would come up and tell me the total size of all the files together. Now when I do this, I get separate windows come up for each file that is highlighted. Is there a way to change this? I don't remember when the change happened, possibly from Panther to Tiger. I just remember the first time I did it I had like 50 files highlighted and then 50 windows opened up...I flipped out. This has been driving me crazy. Any solutions to this?

I am currently running 10.4.8... dual G5 2.5ghz 4gig ram.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I'm not sure but maybe they changed it and you are not able to do it anymore. You might have to live with just one file at a time...sorry man.

3. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    Use command-option-I instead of command-I. This shows the Inspector, which is similar to the Get Info window, but it updates live when the selection changes and it's capable of displaying information about multiple items.
  4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I noticed this too. It seems to pop up one window one time and then loads of windows the next. There is no consistency?

Command-option-I sounds good I forgot all about that. :)
  5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 21, 2004
    You rock! :D Thanks!

When did they change this? :confused: And why?
  6. tbazani macrumors newbie

Nov 8, 2006
    i realize that when you select 8 (or 10 items, i don´t remember now) and hit apple-i, you will have 8 (or 10) "get info window". one for each item.
    but... if your selection contains more than 8 (or 10, damn) items, just one window containing the size info about your selection will comes up.
    i also realize that i can´t ask for this "size info window" with a small selection. lower than 8 items.
  7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2006
    The cut off seems to be ten items. It makes sense to me. At some point having more than ten info windows seems to be too much.