Multiple HDD's and Bootcamp...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheSalmonThief, Aug 20, 2006.

1. TheSalmonThief macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2006
    Ok, I have a 2.16GHz 15" MacBook Pro, and I don't really want to use up hard drive space with Windows and BootCamp. However, I've got 2-3 unused external drives sitting around, so, my question is:

Can I plug an external drive into my MBP via USB, install Windows via BootCamp on that and be good to go? How does that work? :\

edit: Let me rephrase. I have games and a few apps that require Windows to run, that I need to run on my MacBook Pro, and I have a USB external drive to put Windows on. How do I do it? :p
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    As far as I am aware no. The latest BootCamp beta lets you install on any INTERNAL drive but not external.
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    go search around, there's many many threads on that, in short, it require you to stil dedicate 5gb on your internal, and you'll have to modify the xp installation a bit. for detail, just do some search, you'll find plenty. (and it's good practice to search for some answers before start a thread)