Multiple installations on one drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It is possible to install two separate copies of OS X on the same drive? I know it can be done with two drives, but can it be done on one drive? I could see it being tricky due to the fixed pathnames (/System, /Library etc). Would I have to partition to do it?

Speaking of which, are there any nondestructive partitioners for the Mac?

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, in that case, I'll take the easy way out and buy a second drive :rolleyes:

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Nope, sorry, it's not an option. Maybe a unix-geek, given the proper amount of time, could manage; but let's say it's impossible.

And, I don't know of any nondestructive partitioners.

Sorry...
    paul

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...yes, you would need to partition or use an external drive. Until recently there were no "non-destructive" partition tools but now there are two you can have a look at - iPartition and Volumeworks - I have not had cause to buy/try either but as always when you are doing stuff like this no matter what the tool....back up the important stuff first....oh yeah!

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Considering that my current drive's almost full, I'll just get a new drive. I have a G4 tower, so adding a second internal drive isn't a problem. Plus, a new drive is only slightly more expensive than a copy of VolumeWorks, and it'll actually feel like I'm getting something for my money (80 GB more space in this case :)).