Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Ok here is my delima. I now have two Ipods a 60gig photo and now a Ipod Mini. Ok is there a way to set I Tunes to recognize each one individually so that I can only put a few select songs on the mini instead of the whole albums in the playlists? Or do I just have to select or unselect each one everytime I sync them up?

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Yes. I assume you mean not trying to plug them both in at the same time.

Anyway, you can set the 60 Gb to just sync everything, since you probably have the room.

Set the Mini to "manual" or "selected playlists" in the iTunes prefs. You can also check the box that says something like "only update checked songs", so that when you go back to a playlist, any song that is checked on the left will be copied to the Mini.

I have two iPods connected to my iTunes and it remembers the way both are set up. The 10 Gb has all my songs, while my Mini have certain playlists and only certain songs in those playlists. It works quite well.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
wwooden said:
Yes. I assume you mean not trying to plug them both in at the same time.

Actually, I've tried plugging in both my iPod Photo and my iPod shuffle at the same time and iTunes is fine with that. Both units show up separately in my source list and when I go to the iPod preferences tab, I get a dropdown containing both iPods and can pick different options for each unit. I would suspect the same holds true with an iPod Photo and an iPod mini.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Well you just taught me something new :). I just assumed you couldn't plug them both in at the same time. I am going to try it right now..... ;)

boogieman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
wwooden said:
Well you just taught me something new :). I just assumed you couldn't plug them both in at the same time. I am going to try it right now..... ;)

Well blow my dress up it does work..... I feel like a idiot for asking that now!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.