Multiple iPods on one Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tech4all, Jan 14, 2005.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Got a quick question. Is it possible to hook up 2 or more iPods to 1 Mac? I know you can only put 1 Mac with an iPod, but can you put like 2 iPods on one Mac? Just curious :)

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I have never had an ipod so I'm not sure but I imagine each ipod will work in it's own user account. just taking a shot in the dark here.
  3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    My son and I both have iPods. They both have different names, and iTunes works with whichever one we plug in no problem. I have it set to manually manage the iPod contents, otherwise the auto sync would mess with us.

Neither of us have downloaded any songs from the iTunes store, so I don't know how the DRM authentication would work.
  4. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    Yes you can. You can hook up an unlimited number of iPods to a mac. Although you probably want to manually manage your songs unless each iPod has the exact content as one another.
  5. Benj macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2004
    I have a slight twist on this. My iPod automatically syncs with all ticked tunes. Girlfriend's is manual management.

I also assume there is some way that you can have two user profiles that each utilise the same iTunes library. Anyone know about that?
  6. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    I don't want to come off as arrogant sounding (but I probably will), but if you have never even had an iPod, why are you bothering to answer?
  7. iPegboy macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2003
    i'm not 100 percent sure, but i think iTMS songs can go on an unlimited number of iPods. it's possible it's resricted to 10, but i think it's unlimited. unless i dreamt that.
  8. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2004
    It's unlimited. Or at least it was at the start, I'm not sure if the new DRM that 4.5 brought changed anything...
  9. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    I have had 3 iPods on one Mac, and my brother has 5 iPod on one Mac. With the multiple users feature, each user has their own iTunes library, and therefore no sharing conflicts. iTunes also asks the user if they want to sync to another person's library, deleting the current songs on the iPod. Just set up multiple users (if not used already) and connect the iPod to the firewire port, the iPod and iTunes will do the rest.
  10. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    LOL. :p
  11. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes, you can. My wife and I use different accounts but use the same library. The way I did it, is I changed the permissions on all the folders in my home directory, and the home folder itself, so that we both had access to eachothers home folders. Then in her iTunes I selected my iTunes folder as the Library. This is done under iTunes Prefrences. Something that might be easier for you is to simply move your iTunes folder to a place you can both access and then select it's new location in both your iTunes Prefrences.