multiple isights

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by msp, Aug 3, 2006.

1. msp macrumors newbie

Hi,

for an event I want to add 4 (yes four) iSights to a MAC to capture video streams and present them on a video wall.

Is this possible? Does a (Power/Intel)Mac have enough firewire bandwidth to get all four streams?
    Does a Mac have enough CPU-power to do the necessary processing?

I want to add 4 streams to a live picture with one cam picture in a edge of the screen. It should look like this:

1 2
    3 4

Is there a app out in the wild that could do something like this?

I glad for any hint I get.

Thanks

msp

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

What do you need to do with them? You might not need to have four.

I know you can have four computers, each witt their own iSight conferencing together with iChat on a network.

But i dont know about four on one computer...

A G5 Powermac will have the ports and the power needed to run four cams (if it were possible).

3. msp thread starter macrumors newbie

I need this setup for a competition. There will be 4 players, therefore I need the 4 video streams.
    All should go into one Mac with a software that creates the layout (as shown above) that will go to a video projector for the audience.

Anyone has a idea how to achive this?

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

My only contribution might not be all that beneficial...

I know that the software that you must use is not provided by Apple. Most programs I've stumbled across only accept a single video feed. Also, you're going to need a few more Firewire ports, but I'm sure you thought of that.

Good Luck!

5. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Have you actually got the hardware yet? (if not, try with two sources - a firewire DV cam will do) Have you tried opening multiple quicktime 'new recording' windows? (This might be a QT Pro feature, can't remember) I haven't tried this yet but IF you can do more than one at a time and IF you can chose from a range of sources (like you can in iChat and Skype) then you could arrange your 'players' this way, perhaps in front of a customised desktop?

If you need me to try this, I could test it on an Intel iMac for you.

6. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Update to my suggestion

Bad news. Quicktime won't allow more than one recording window (and it didn't even recognise my external video source in the same way that iChat does). I managed to get two video sources on screen - the iSight in the QT window and my video capture unit in iChat preview. Skype video could allow another stream in a preview window but this is not exactly the elegant solution you are looking for.

Good luck - please post your solution if you find one.

7. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

You can try Evocam. On the feature list it says it can support multiple cameras but i haven't tried it.

I have also found Wacaw. Don't know how it works but it seems relevant.

Hope that helps you.

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I watched the WWDC keynote, and Jobs had 2 iSights on his ACD, presumably connected to the one MacPro. Looks like it might be possible...

Ask an Apple tech in an AppleCenter. They may be able to help.

9. cube macrumors G4

They had a backup computer, so most probably one iSight connected to each of the 2 machines.