Multiple iTunes libraries on one Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sunfast, Feb 16, 2006.

1. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    Ok - my girlfriend wants to rip her CDs onto my mac and sync her iPod with it instead of using her rubbish old pc. I'm cool with her doing it but I don't want ANY of her music in my iTunes as I really think it's awful. I mean REALLY awful.

Could it be done somehow with user switching (something I've heard loads about but don't really understand and haven't tried)? I'd love it if there could be iTunes with my stuff (main iTunes) and another one with her rubbish.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2005
    Massachusetts, Connecticut
    Yup. Just make her a new user, and have her use that user. Done! :)
  3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    Sys prefs > Accounts

make a new user account for her ("managed") and enable fast user switching.

She'll get a home folder under Users on the drive, just like you, and in it, her own iTunes library, Safari bookmarks, Dock items and ugly desktop pictures etc!

Your account name will appear at the top right of the screen, click for a drop down of the other accounts, click hers, it'll ask for password and she'll be in her account, can do what she likes, with no effect on you!

Probably not a bad time to look at creating a separate Admin account and switching yourself to Managed also, in light of the recent hoohah over trojans.