Multiple iTunes Libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Glossybear, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Glossybear macrumors member

I'm looking at getting an external firewire harddrive for MP3 storage. Is there a way to have iTunes use the drive, when it is plugged in, as part of its Library?

Alternately, is there a way to use a networked drive as part of an iTunes library?

2. boskie macrumors regular

Yes, it is possible.

I have a Lacie 120G d2 drive with all of my mp3's on which i share between two mac's running 10.2.5 and 9.2.2.

The easiest way i found is if you set the defualt iTunes music folder for importing/library to the desired music folder on the external drive for all installations of iTunes and keep a master copy of your playlists and do the same for them.

As far as a shared network drive, i haven't tried it but i don't see why it shouldn't work as long as the ext drive volume is mounted on all respective comps - and itunes allows it.
    Although if you wait till next thursday when rendevouz playlists arrive your situation will more than likely be, either answered beyond your wildest dreams, and/or dashed/delayed by the inconvienence of needing everything that will be announced.

Hope this answers your question.

If you have any probs just PM me.

3. Kid macrumors newbie

I have a main library that I use for all my normal music but can I create one just for say... bootlegs on the same drive?