Multiple iTunes libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jalagl, Oct 22, 2004.

1. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Hi all,

I just bought an external hard drive for my Powerbook and want to start ripping all my CD collection to it using iTunes. The problem is that I want to keep a minimal library on my Powerbook for when I am away from my desk, so I need something to select which library I want to use in iTunes.

After doing some research, I found two things:

This Applescript: iTunes Library Manager v4.0 that allows you to do that.

And this application Libra, that also does what I'm looking for.

Both seem to do the same thing. Libra is freeware, though, while the other script, even though it is inexpensive, costs money.

My question here is: has anyone used any of those scripts? How well do they work? Any other suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!!

2. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

How big is your hard drive? I have 10GB of music and I like to keep it all on my HD. I'm guessing that your PB will have at least 40GB, judging by its age.

Sorry I can't help you regarding those scripts and I don't know of any other apps that would do the same trick. Why don't you back up your library and just take the plunge?

4. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I use Libra, and love it. I have never had a problem with it, except that when I first used it, it had just the generic icon. Now it has a pretty one.

I actually have two libraries. One is my original library, full of all kinds of music from all kinds of sources. The second is my legal library, full of music which I am entitled to have copies of. Once the second builds up a little more, I'll get rid of the first.

What I like about Libra is that all the music is in one folder in one place. The only thing that changes is the directory/listing of music, which means no multiple copies, no matter how many libraries you have.

Libra is definitely the way to go.

5. jalagl thread starter macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, my Powerbook has a 40GB HD. My music collection on the PB is around 10GB, while I am up to 32GB on the external hard drive (I spend most of this weekend ripping CDs... still have a bunch to go, though..)

I downloaded both apps (scripts?) and will try them out tonight. I'll post here how it goes.

Thanks!