Multiple Mics in iMac ... how?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swy32x, Aug 26, 2005.

1. swy32x macrumors regular

Mar 20, 2005
    I am wanting to have more than one microphone connected to my iMac - how would I go about this?

Do I need a firewire mixer or a regular mixer with a line out, then record that sound in through Audio HiJack?

Thanks for your help guys.
  2. faintember macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    the ruins of the Cherokee nation
    Such an easy question, alas, not that simple of an answer! :p

If you have a mixer you could run your mics through that, and then into the iMac via some adapters (x->1/8").

If you want higher quality, have higher quality mics, or plan on doing this often, an FW interface would be helpful. In this instance check out the FW 410 by M-Audio, the Firebox or the Firepod by Presonus. There are many others, but the above mentioned have phantom power for powering condenser mics.

If you are not running condenser mics, depending on how many mics you need to input into the iMac, something like the M-Audio Audiophile may suffice.

Sweetwater typically has good prices for these items in the US, but not too sure about other places. A quick google search of "Firewire interface" should find a place that ships to your location.

I am not familiar with Audio Hijack, but you may want to look into Audacity. It is free, and works pretty well for basic things. Anything more complicated may require a program like Garageband, Logic express/pro, Cubase etc.

Hope this helps ya!