Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamthepolak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Hey i want to hook up 3+ monitors to my mac pro, i currently have a 8800 gt and another was just ordered but i heard u cant hook up more then one 8800 gt at a time. i dont want sli i just want to be able to hook up multiple monitors. i have a ati X 1900 XT too and i can order another one if that will solve the issue. or if there are other cards that are newer and better that will work i can get that too. money isnt an issue, i just need the most powerful graphic card i can get right now, that will allow me to have more then 3 monitors. i know ill need more then one card so i just need to know which is the most powerful i can get and i can put more then one into the mac pro. thanks

adamthepolak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
thanks for the help and would i be able to put in more of the same cards later on if needed? and by later on i mean it could be within a week another

POLOgt

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
So you can use up to two NVIDIA 8800 GT video cards in a Mac Pro,
then you will have to use ATI 2600 HD for the last two slots if needed after that because you only have two 6-pin power adapters on the motherboard, which will be used on the first two 8800's

Also, I don't know the power consumption of each card is, though a Mac Pro is rated at 300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots, just FYI

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So you can use up to two NVIDIA 8800 GT video cards in a Mac Pro,
then you will have to use ATI 2600 HD for the last two slots if needed after that because you only have two 6-pin power adapters on the motherboard, which will be used on the first two 8800's

Also, I don't know the power consumption of each card is, though a Mac Pro is rated at 300W combined maximum for all PCI Express slots, just FYI

Yes, I don't believe that two 8800 and two HD 2600 XT will work, due to the power limitations.

Nor will two 3870 and two HD 2600 XT.

Four HD 2600 XT will work, however.

adamthepolak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
if power is the issue then ill just rig a power supply to work the other cards. so its not an issue

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'd personally just sell the 8800GT (and the X 1900XT) and buy 2 3870's. The performance under OS X is better because ATI's drivers are better (despite the 8800 technically being faster), and under Windows you can have them in Crossfire. Faster all round :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Depends on what you want to do, if it's not 3d accelerated, you can have as many displays you want with USB display adapters discussed a lot in the laptop sections.

adamthepolak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
i got the second 8800GT in and its working fine no problems. i have a 30'' HD cinema monitor on the first card and on the second i have 2 19'' monitors. working fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.