Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
This is to people with more than one monitor out there:

When i connect more than one monitor to my jag.3 pmac, can i tell it where i have palced them and if so, where is this located.

I am enquiring before i go and spend big bucks on two 23" HD Studio Displays. Thanx.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
can you expand?

do you mean, can you tell them which one is on which side? and which one you want the finder to be on?

yes...

if you want more detail, be more specific with what you want to do...

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
no thanx. you answered my question perfectly. thanx alot for the fast reply.

ps. i am pretty sure apple apreciates it aswell :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well if you're getting dual 23's..... doesn't matter which one is which eh?

can you take a pic of it when you have it set up and post it?

that set up is the lust of nearly everyone on here....

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i guess. but, that would be if i had a digital camera or a scanner that is supported under OS X (canon FB630u)

i dont have either of these and you can guess where my money is going right now ... :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: Multiple Monitors

Originally posted by benixau
I am enquiring before i go and spend big bucks on two 23" HD Studio Displays. Thanx.

that's what made me think you were getting 2 23's....

yeah, better to get 2 17's if money's an issue, in my opinion... or a 23 and 17.. or something.

and that way get a good digital cam and whatever else. enjoy

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i guess. but i am an audio engineer primarily.

i do DVD mastering etc on the side so i need all of the screen space i can get. the second monitor is really just as a play the movie monitor or in pro tools ....

well pro tools would use 15 of these things if i could do that.

thanx for the recommendation. i will go have a look at some as soon as my local apple centre (in aussie) gets some in. or go to the city where they hopefully have these monsters. still no-one has two set-up on display ....

thanx again.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i guess nipsy. but you see, i want to save my pci slots for my digidesign gear that i will be getting .... as soon as they fix up the MDD issue.

also i will think about that. it is just that in oz we have very very few mac options around. and what is around is either out of date or very very expensive.

i think i will wait a bit. it isnt like the apple monitors are going anywhere. and i dont have the need for them right now.

plus, i could always go formac. the thing is that the only 2 pc companiesi would consider are sony (my current CRT maker) and samsung for its thin edges.

oh well. thanx for the tip.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by benixau
i guess nipsy. but you see, i want to save my pci slots for my digidesign gear that i will be getting .... as soon as they fix up the MDD issue.

also i will think about that. it is just that in oz we have very very few mac options around. and what is around is either out of date or very very expensive.

plus, i could always go formac. the thing is that the only 2 pc companiesi would consider are sony (my current CRT maker) and samsung for its thin edges.

oh well. thanx for the tip.

Yeah, I know what you mean about conservation of PCI.

It just seems that the pixels/$ ratio on Apple monitors is way off until you calculate the size. If you don't need the physical size, you save a ton buy using 3rd party displays.

I'm looking at 3 of the above Dells to replace my current 3 displays, although thea do offer a pricier slim-edge display that would be much more 'seamless'.

A monitor is a monitor unless you have color precision or gaming needs, and you can save a lot to throw at audio gear buy buying even generic panels. Many of the current crop are the same panels and gear with different plastic shells.

'Course if you're showing your studio to prospective clients, those Apple displays may pay for themselves in 'this guy has sexy gear, let's hire him.'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.