Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
UK
Hi

Anyone know if it's possible to have several monitors linked to one mac? I want to have several LCD's wall mounted in an office reception each showing different images, cycling through sample images, web design work etc. As for the Mac, well, it can be any that would do the job - I dont have the hardware yet, not until I know if it's possible or I am just dreaming.

Marc

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Multiple monitors

Originally posted by marccarter
Hi

Anyone know if it's possible to have several monitors linked to one mac? I want to have several LCD's wall mounted in an office reception each showing different images, cycling through sample images, web design work etc. As for the Mac, well, it can be any that would do the job - I dont have the hardware yet, not until I know if it's possible or I am just dreaming.

Marc

Yes... Mac's actually do this very well... and have supported it since the Mac II (1987, I believe).

https://www.macrumors.com/downloads/darkscreen.jpg

It acts as one contiguous screen.

You just need a Mac that has PCI cards to add multiple video cards. All modern Mac OS version support it.

Finding the slideshow software that does exactly what you want might take some looking

arn

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
You can just get an old powermac and fill it with three or four videocards. Or get a new one and the vidcard in a new Mac can support 2 screens. Ofcourse you can always put another vid card in there for another monitor!

sabroson

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Chicago
I have a Powermac G4 (dual 1Ghz) with one Video card and two LCD monitors.

The monitors are 17" Dell brand... I know... they were cheaper than the Apple brand. They work beautifully.

People at first think I have a Dell but when they see screen they become confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.