Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
I have tried on a couple of occasions to print to PDF from Word multiple-page documents and the result is multiple PDFs.
I am using the latest version of Office and am running 10.4.6. I'm generating the PDFs through the print dialog.
I thought it had to do with the section breaks that were in the docs, but I tried a two-page document and it created two PDFs seperated at the natural page break.
Has anybody seen this before? I tried a search (both here and Google) but came up dry.

TIA, Rob

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
mowogg said:
I have tried on a couple of occasions to print to PDF from Word multiple-page documents and the result is multiple PDFs.
I am using the latest version of Office and am running 10.4.6. I'm generating the PDFs through the print dialog.
I thought it had to do with the section breaks that were in the docs, but I tried a two-page document and it created two PDFs seperated at the natural page break.
Has anybody seen this before? I tried a search (both here and Google) but came up dry.

TIA, Rob

Yup, any breaks in the document will create multiple PDFs. I don't know if it's a Word thing or OSX thing.

I use PDFLab to put them back together, though there are other programs out there. I like this one for ease of use and ability to quickly reorder pages. :)

IanF0729

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2005
Washington, DC.
Did you use the PDF dialogue box built into Word's Print menu? Or did you use a PDF driver as your printer? From your post, I'm not quite sure.

If you click on print, there should be a PDF button towards the bottom that I've always used and saves as a multi-page *.pdf file for me.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,771
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 104

iSaint

macrumors 603
IanF0729 said:
Did you use the PDF dialogue box built into Word's Print menu? Or did you use a PDF driver as your printer? From your post, I'm not quite sure.

If you click on print, there should be a PDF button towards the bottom that I've always used and saves as a multi-page *.pdf file for me.

same for me...use it all the time!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
IanF0729 said:

Which button saves as a single PDF? PDF-X? Compress?

I like PDFLab, but if I don't need it for this that'd be great.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
IanF0729 said:
Just use save as PDF...should do the trick!

Normally it does, but what the OP and I were talking about is if your Word document has multiple sections saving as PDF creates separate PDF files for each section. It's annoying, but donation-ware like PDFLab at least let us fix it. I think it'd be awesome if one of the Save as PDF options was "Save As Single PDF"

However, let me be clear that I think "Save as PDF" is one of the most elegant aspects of OSX. I'm constantly being handed a flash drive of presentations to convert to PDF for my wife (she's got a pc).

IanF0729

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2005
Washington, DC.
discoforce said:
Normally it does, but what the OP and I were talking about is if your Word document has multiple sections saving

Ah, I missed that bit - sorry!

EDIT: If you're talking about sections as in your document is in notebook layout, change it at the bottom to page layout view and then use the PDF feature on the print menu. I just checked it on a multi-section document and it worked for me.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
IanF0729 said:
Ah, I missed that bit - sorry!

No worries. :)

Got me all excited that I'd missed another simple feature in OSX. I usually find that when I'm attempting a complex solution to a mac problem, there's a much simpler one I haven't found yet. That's why I love these forums.

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
OK, I didn't check back for a while.

I am using the PDF pull-down from the print dialog window. If I just have page breaks I get a multi-page PDF. If I have section breaks (needed if one part is portrait and one part is landscape, or to have a page of columns) it prints out as multiple PDFs- FILE_NAME.PDF, FILE_NAME2.PDF, etc...

I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Thanks all who responded!

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
mowogg said:
OK, I didn't check back for a while.

I am using the PDF pull-down from the print dialog window. If I just have page breaks I get a multi-page PDF. If I have section breaks (needed if one part is portrait and one part is landscape, or to have a page of columns) it prints out as multiple PDFs- FILE_NAME.PDF, FILE_NAME2.PDF, etc...

I haven't been able to figure this one out.

Thanks all who responded!

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything to figure out. You get multiple PDFs if you have section breaks. You can "paste" them back together with a few different freeware programs out there, but OSX (or Microsoft) doesn't do this for us yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.