Multiple Safari windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akadmon, Nov 27, 2006.

1. akadmon macrumors 68010

Now that I got my 24" LCD that apparently can't be pivot from landscape to portrait mode in OSX, I would like to at least be able to view two web pages side by side, since the 24" display is wide enough for this. Alas, I don't see a way of opening a second instance of Safari (the way you can do it with IE Explorer in Windows side). Now I know I could just open another browser (I also use Opera), bit it's really bugging me that Apple would not include this functionality with their own browser.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Safari>File>New Window

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

apple-n?

the only difference is that in Windows, clickign the application opened a new window. In Mac OS X, clicking the application icon just brings the window into focus. Apple-N gives you a new Safari window. Also try apple-t for making new tabs (make sure it's turned on in preferences).

4. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I think i read in my book today that you can change your settings to open up files in different windows.

is this correct?

5. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68010

OK, thanks! For some reason I looked for this command under the Window menu.

6. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

nope...its under the File menu...the hotkeys are on the right....learn em, use em!

7. GizmoLogix macrumors newbie

Multiple Safari windows

The original poster was right... Safari really should have a multi-pane option, and here is why: Mac and 'really big displays' just go together. With that gorgeous display it would be very nice to be able to view multiple pages, side by side, within the same browser without opening multiple instances of Safari.

The reason is simple... if you have to open multiple instances of Safari, then you will need to drag them around and resize them to suite your purposes. That's fine until the next time you open Safari and only want/need one large pane or window. Now you have to drag and resize AGAIN. It turns into a great big viscous circle and eventually you loose your mind. So, I suggest that for the sanity of millions, Apple immediately implement multi-pane Safari browsing ;)

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The original post is from 2006. I don't have any problem opening two or more web pages in Safari, in their own windows. What am I missing here??

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Don't close them when you quit.
    Open History: open all windows from last session.
    Btw, 2006 thread is a bit outdated.