Multiple User Access to 802.11n Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by thebreadking, Jun 15, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Nov 26, 2008
    Hi there,
    I have a quick question or four about accessing a hard drive that's connected to a wireless router. Say I have an Airport Extreme with an external hard drive plugged into it: can everyone who is on the Airport's network have simultaneous access to the drive (i.e. 5 different computers reading/writing to the drive at once)?

Is there a benefit to using an Extreme as the router in this situation, or can any wireless router with a USB 2.0 connector work?

Is there an easier/faster/cheaper way to network a handful of computers in adjacent offices to allow simultaneous access to a hard drive, or daisy chained set of drives?

Obviously I have no clue, and I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in Basics, so I hope that you guys can give me a hand. Thanks a bunch for the help.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2007
    I'm not sure about the simultaneous access to the airdisk.

Extreme is good because its pretty hassle free while other routers with a usb port aren't as supported and/or has a great big community for support. You could find a router with usb such as one of those asus routers and setup dd-wrt on it and look through their forums.

If your just looking for a file server, I would build my own with cheap computer parts and load up freenas.