Multiple User Accounts.... ?! help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whyrichard, Jan 10, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello dear Mac community!!!

for those of you who are not on the probook threads....

me and my lovely girlfriend now live together, through we presently only have one mac between the two of us. I know how to set up a different account for her, and to set up fast user switching, but i was wondering about programs...

-can i have all her mail accounts be seperate, using apple's mail program?
    -can we still share the itunes library?
    -can she have her own safari bookmarks and preferences?

essentially, how do i control which programs are shared between users and which are not?

thanks!

r.

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

Yes, like all apps on OS X, Mail uses the preferences set up for the active user, including mail account settings and such. It will "just work".

Yes, for the same reason.

This is a bit trickier. As with my other answers, the OS uses the current user's preferences and files with the shared applications to give each user privacy and their own unique experience. iTunes by default stores its files and database of music in the active user's Music folder. Thus each user would have their own Music folder and iTunes database, not shared between users.

You can however open up iTunes, go to the iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General. There you will see a field marked iTunes Music Folder Location. You can change this to a shared folder location that both accounts have access to.

All programs are accessable to both users, but the personalized data is not shared between users unless you go out of your way to do it (as above).

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thank you very much for your response!

one more question:

when mail is active in both user accounts, is there twice the ram usage?
    thanks,
    r.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X is a preemptive, multitasking OS. You are thinking in terms of cooperative multitasking. The email coming into your system comprise a very small percentage of the total number of tasks running on it.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4