Multiple users login

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by afiglee, Dec 18, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

I have Mac OS X server 10.6.3 and I want to be able for different users to login simultaneously and use XCode each in their own windows session.
    Any ideas how to do that?

2. Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Have you tried Fast User Switching? I can't say 100% if it's available on the server edition, but it would be in System Preferences > Accounts > Login Options.

3. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, guys.
    Indded it seems that infrastracture for multiple simultaneous logins in place,
    but need some tweaking.
    Thanks for the pointing to fast user switching - will dig in this direction

5. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not graphical ones: Quartz basically only expects one active user at a time

6. macrumors 601

talmy

Fast User Switching hangs my server when it is running headless (which is all of the time). For some reason it needs a monitor connected for it to work. :(

What I view as unfortunate is that I have to keep it logged in in order for some services to keep working properly (scheduled backups with SuperDuper, DynamicDNS, I suspect Plex, and iTunes if I were to use it's server). So it isn't possible to use the server as a general user login on another account.

Of course some people will point out that a server shouldn't be used for user logins anyway for security and stability reasons.

You can always have multiple shell logins, using the ssh command.