Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Huh? Sharing an Apple ID between trusted household members means purchased apps can be shared between members. And since each user can have different Apple ID for personal data like backup, documents, photos, calendars, reminders, and email, you get best of the both worlds.

Exactly. My wife and I use my AppleID for all app store purchases. She has a separate I'd she uses for her contacts, calendar and email. Works great. And I use my ID for my email and all that stuff. Works great with no issues.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Family of 5: One shared AppleID for iTunes purchases, separate iCloud accounts for personal contacts, calendars, iMessage, etc.

clackamac

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Yorkshire UK
Family of 5: One shared AppleID for iTunes purchases, separate iCloud accounts for personal contacts, calendars, iMessage, etc.

Would you mind explaining how to do this please.

I have 1 original apple ID I use for apps and purchases and is set up for iCloud. I set an @me email address up in iCloud.

I have an ipod touch for my daughter and I want her to share the purchases etc but have her own cloud space for contacts etc. (She has no ID at the momment)

Any help appreciated.

joecatz

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
So if the wife and I each have Iphones, and we have a shared Ipad...

right now I have a me.com account that will be my icloud account. we have a shared apple ID (her yahoo id) that all of our itunes ipurchases are on. I'll use that for purchases..

Should we set up a seperate me.com account for her phone, and use her old apple ID for itunes?

how does this affect iphoto and photo stream?

dan8379

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Ok, probably a really stupid question here about the original post...my wife and I share one Apple ID, just upgraded to 5.0 and have started using imessage (just on the phone, we don't have an ipad). Since we use our phone #'s for texting and not our Apple ID there is no risk of her messages looking like they're coming from me, or vice-versa, correct? Us sharing one ID doesn't impact this type of messaging at all? Also, not using icloud presently, if that matters.

Last edited:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ok, probably a really stupid question here about the original post...my wife and I share one Apple ID, just upgraded to 5.0 and have started using imessage (just on the phone, we don't have an ipad). Since we use our phone #'s for texting and not our Apple ID there is no risk of her messages looking like they're coming from me, or vice-versa, correct? Us sharing one ID doesn't impact this type of messaging at all? Also, not using icloud presently, if that matters.

If you are sharing an iCloud account you will receive each others iMessages. Just set up the shared iTunes account then set up individual iCloud accounts...problem solved.

dan8379

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
If you are sharing an iCloud account you will receive each others iMessages. Just set up the shared iTunes account then set up individual iCloud accounts...problem solved.

Ok, and on the same note if we're not using iCloud at all, no problem? (seems obvious, just making sure).

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
My wife and I share an apple ID, but neither of us use iCloud. iMessage works fine. We just have it set to use our phone numbers for iMessage - not our apple ID. We use the Google exchange sync for contacts and calendars. It works great once you get it set up right.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
This is what we do.

Use same Apple ID for store. Use different ID for iCloud. Apps are shared, nothing else.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I see this being a problem here for my wife and I shortly too... I'm subscribing to this so I can use the info to fix this for my wife and I too...

dan8379

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
This is what we do.

Use same Apple ID for store. Use different ID for iCloud. Apps are shared, nothing else.

I tried searching for this, but there are so many threads it's hard to find basic info sometimes, so forgive me...but how do I set up different iCloud ID's for each of us? We share the Apple ID which is fine, but I want to set up unique iCloud ID's. Thanks.

----------

I tried searching for this, but there are so many threads it's hard to find basic info sometimes, so forgive me...but how do I set up different iCloud ID's for each of us? We share the Apple ID which is fine, but I want to set up unique iCloud ID's. Thanks.

I think I answered my own question, just let me know if I'm correct. I just need to delete my current iCloud account on the phone, then create a brand new Apple ID which would only be used for Icloud? Let me know if that sounds right...

dan8379

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
Sorry...one more question about this. I guess I don't understand how it should work, but for some reason if my wife downloads an app onto her phone it automatically loads onto mine. But if I download an app on my phone it doesn't automatically load onto hers. From what I can tell our settings are all the same....any reason why it would work this way?

spectre51

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Sorry...one more question about this. I guess I don't understand how it should work, but for some reason if my wife downloads an app onto her phone it automatically loads onto mine. But if I download an app on my phone it doesn't automatically load onto hers. From what I can tell our settings are all the same....any reason why it would work this way?

Check on each phone in Settings-> Store to see if Automatic downloads are enabled. Also in iTunes for each phone under the Apps screen look to see if the box is checked that says Automatically sync new apps.

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
This worked great for us... I set up my wife with her own Apple ID, we used mine for the store and then our own for the rest of the stuff... Cloud, find my friend, and iMessage... That we we can share the apps on our 5 iOS devices and then still have our own other stuff... We do share contacts and calendar though... We see no need to have them separate...

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005

----------

I think I answered my own question, just let me know if I'm correct. I just need to delete my current iCloud account on the phone, then create a brand new Apple ID which would only be used for Icloud? Let me know if that sounds right...
first, set up your own personal iCloud account on your phone. This will be the one where your contacts, email, calendars, documents, etc., will be stored.

Then, go to the Store setting in Settings and change the ID in there from your iCloud ID to the iTunes store AppleID that you want to share.

dt5peterson

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
Florida
My wife and I have 3 Apple IDs (and iCloud accounts), 2 for individual and 1 for shared.

There are multiple places where Apple ID can be specified:
  • iCloud: Use separate Apple ID. That way, each user gets 5 GB storage space for backup and document. Disable Find My iPhone.
  • Mail, Contacts, Calendars: Use shared Apple ID. You can add shared Apple ID for sharing contacts, calendars, reminders, bookmarks, notes, and Find My iPhone. I enable only reminders (for sharing reminders as Reminders app lack share functionality) and Find My iPhone (so I can use either iPhone to locate other iPhone). If you want to share calendar, you can enable it as well (I personally prefer to use iCal's invite feature).
  • FaceTime: Use separate Apple ID.
  • Music: Use shared Apple ID.
  • Video: Use shared Apple ID.
  • Photos: Use separate Apple ID to get 5 GB for each devices.
  • Store: Use shared Apple ID to share app purchases.
  • iBooks: Use shared Apple ID to share book purchases.
  • iTunes: Use shared Apple ID to share music and video purchases.
  • Game Center: Use separate Apple ID.
  • Find My Friends: Use separate Apple ID.
  • Find My iPhone: Use shared Apple ID.

Nutmac: This makes a lot of sense, but I have a couple questions…

1. On an iPhone 4S, how do I disable "Find my iPhone" from the unique iCloud Apple ID, but use it with a shared Apple ID?
2. If my photos run through the unique iCloud, can I get them to my family iMac (same iPhoto file)? I've added the unique iCloud account to iPhoto, but I do not see pics from my iPhone in the photo stream on the iMac.
3. I'd like to sync my iPhone iCal to the common AppleID, but events on the iMac are not syncing to my iPhone. Ideas?

Can my iPhone access 2 iCloud Apple IDs? It seems like I'm totally disconnected from the common Apple ID

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
I did the same as iSpud.

I have a new iPhone 4S. My girlfriend uses my old iPhone 4 as an iPod Touch. We want to share iTunes purchases and App Store purchases, but nothing else.

My iPhone 4S has my Apple ID on everything...iTunes, App Store, Find My iPhone, iCloud, Find My Friends - all of it.

On my girlfriend's iPod/old iPhone, my Apple ID is used for iTunes and App Store. We created a new Apple ID for her to use on everything else.

With this method, we are able to share our purchases, but we are able to have separate accounts for everything else.

So far, it works pretty well.

Actually you did it slightly different than iSpud. He did this setup with 1 shared Apple ID and 2 separate @me accounts. So total 3 accounts.

You did with 2 accounts only: yours for everything and on gf devices your id for iTunes/apps purchases and new account for iCloud.

My wife has @gmail account that is used as Apple ID for iTunes purchases. So it seems she can use it for everything: iCloud, iMessage and me also have different than her @gmail account, which I should use for iCloud, iMessage etc and hers only for iTunes purchases.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage of doing this using 3 accounts vs 2 (except for @me email address).

rfs2005

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
I don't really see an advantage. However, the only reason why I didn't use three accounts is because neither of us had a @me.com e-mail address when we upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.