Multiple XBOX with one Live account

Discussion in 'Games' started by poppe, Dec 16, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello,

I have a 360 at home but I am visiting my family that has an XBOX. I'd really like to be able to play some halo while I hang out with them all but I can't figure out a way to put in my own account and just use that, or is it not possible to have one live account with two xboxes?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hmmm... moving a Live account between a 360 and an Xbox is not something I've heard of anyone trying to do before.

Now, if you were talking about going between two 360s, there would be three ways you could approach this situation:

1. Move your Xbox Live profile onto a 64 MB memory unit. Then, on ANY 360, you can just insert the memory unit and sign into your profile. This is what people like Major Nelson (Larry Hryb, the director of programming for Xbox Live at Microsoft) do when they are traveling.

2. You could also take your 360's hard drive with you and dock it to ANY 360. When you started that 360, your profile would be available to use.

3. If you do not have a memory unit and you don't want to take your hard drive with you, you can use the "Recover Gamertag" option on any 360 to recover your gamertag to THAT 360. Note that if you do this, when you return home, you will need to recover your gamertag back to YOUR 360. (Basically, an Xbox Live profile can only "live" in one place: Either a console's hard drive, or a memory unit.)

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It *is* possible to move a 360 account to an Xbox, but you'll have to keep moving it between the Xbox and 360 each time you want to play on either machine.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So basically it's the "Recover Gamertag" option (#3 in my list).

Any idea what happens (if anything) to the 360-specific aspects of your gamertag (achievements, etc.) when you recover it back to a plain ol' Xbox?

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Pretty much, yeah.

Nope – what I did was create an account for my brother on my 360, and then he (half a country away) recovered it to his original Xbox. So I'd have to ask him.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok I've heard of this recover thing before but what do you all think I should do to recover my account? My Hard drive is in California, but I am in Texas so hopefully i am not required to do it through the hard drive... I really thought I'd just be able to type in my username and password and go.... sad day then...

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The recover process requires only that you know the e-mail address, gamertag, and password. You don't need anything from California to do this. Just remember, when you get BACK to California, you will have to recover your gamertag on your 360.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh hmmm I tried it but since I am only on the trial right now it won't let me it seems like... It kept asking my credit card and I think that is what the problem is (since I didnt need a credit card for the trial).

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Dude, you're into new territory. I'd bet that the number of people who've tried to take a trial account created on a 360 *back* to an original Xbox numbers in the low 2 digits. You may need to call Microsoft and ask them... 1.800.4MYXBOX.

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh cool. Hey thanks for all you help! I'll give them a call then