Multiregional DVD player in G5?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by GotherThanThou, Jan 20, 2004.

1. GotherThanThou macrumors newbie

in my G5, I have been able to play many DVD's of several regions and it never once asked me to choose a region... When I checked the DVD Player 4 prefs, there's nothing about your region. The help still has the page about regions, but does not tell you how to change it other than by putting a DVD from a new region in, and it also has an image of the :: old :: controller.

Is there a multiregional DVD player in my G5?

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

The region should change automatically, when you put a DVD in that has a different region on it to the last DVD you played.

If you want a multi-region DVD player, go to www.videolan.org and download VLC for Mac OS X.

3. GotherThanThou thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have VLC, but It seems to have quite a few bugs in playback... I usually just 'backup' the DVD and remove the encoding. Thanks anyway!

-John

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I think you can change region something like 5 times, after which it should set itself to whatever region you watched last... with the 'official' DVD player that is.

5. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Is VLC entirely region free, ie it wont lock my hardware up after so many changes? The whole region encoding thing really annoys me especially when dvds are not just available later in other regions but not available at all :mad: