Munich, the movie

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jefhatfield, Dec 27, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

what do you think about the new political thriller, Munich? it opened friday while most were obsessed with gorillas and geishas

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Reviews have been mixed. I haven't seen it and probably won't, since I think Steven Spielberg basically ruins just about everything he touches, but I'll be interested to hear the views of others.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

[​IMG]

Hellooooo Raaaaaaaaayyyyyy........

[​IMG]

OI!!! IT'S "POIDA!!!!!"

Nup, can't take him seriously in anything.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Steven tends to do double headers by releasing 2 movies the same year.

He released Jurassic Park in 1993 to much B.O. success and then later the same year, released Schindler's List, which went on to win Best Picture.

So it's a pattern of releasing a summer blockbuster in the summer, followed with a heavy piece in the fall. He did it again in 1997 with Lost World and Amistad, and again in 2002 with Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can.

So this year, it looks like he's following tradition by releasing WOTW in the summer and Munich later in the year.

Would Munich grab Best Picture. It might, but Spielberg has lost some of his magic, I think.

Anyway, many good movies are out, namely Brokeback Mountain, Constant Gardener, and Syriana.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Serious" movies are often released late in the year to make them eligible for Academy Awards. A nomination will often keep this kind of picture alive at the box office longer than it might otherwise.

Based on what I've heard, "Munich" is the kind of slick, Hollywood type of serious movie made by a bankable industry asset that the Academy always seems to feel good about nominating. As for Spielberg, I don't think he's ever been better than a mediocre director, but he makes lots of loot consistently -- which in the end, is all that really counts.

I thought "The Constant Gardner" was very good (I'm a big Le Carre fan), but probably my favorite of the year was a totally ignored film called "Proof."

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

munich is not his best work and is certainly a slick formula movie which should have been released in the summer with all it's gore, explosions, and lack of a developing story

i was spoiled with spielberg's band of brothers, which i thought was one of the best works he has done, and now i expect real excellence from him and not some fast, rushed, but lucrative piece, much like his war of the worlds was

but i would not be surprised if munich and war of the worlds make huge money for him

i don't know if band of brothers was a big money maker, but spielberg certainly put a lot of time and care into that work and it shows

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'll have to check it out. my favorite so far this year is "Good Night, and Good Luck." the best thing i rented this year was "Kontroll."

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've recently seen both and Good Night was excellent in a way I could not have imagined and very topical as well.

I was expecting Kontroll to be some artsy film but it was superb. When I was in Budapest in October I heard all these stories about the near brutal Metro Police but there's always two sides to a story.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I haven't heard anything outstanding about the film yet, so I'm definitely in no rush to see it. I will check it out at some point though I'm sure...

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Good Night" was fine for what it attempted to accomplish. I hope people see it if only because of what it's got to say about the state of journalism. Overall, though I thought it was a bit claustrophobic. Virtually the entire film takes place within a TV studio and offices -- it's almost like the world outside of TV doesn't exist. I found this a bit disconcerting, considering what it was about.

"Proof" is based on the excellent stage play of the same name. I know the play so I was prepared to make a critical comparison to the movie. Wisely the screenplay was co-written by the original playwright. Gwyneth Paltrow gives a much stronger performance than I thought she was capable. The stuff of awards, if there was any justice in the movie business (which there isn't).

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

you mean that king kong shouldn't win for best short documentary? ;)

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How tall was King Kong?

(Extra points for anybody who can name the movie where that line appeared.)

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Forty feet in his socks.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bzzt! Sorry. The answer is three feet.

Anybody remember the movie where this line was spoken (twice, in fact)? One of the better movies about the movies.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no idea. but tell us so we can watch it.

my living room can comfortably seat 6.

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

kong is strong

i thought the big cats were the kings of the jungle in africa until i heard a biologist on animal channel saying that a big cat attacking a male silverback gorilla was a cat with a deathwish...yikes...i wonder if dianne fossey knew that?

i figure a 20 -30 ft. silverback, assuming it has silverback like intelligence, could just thrash a t-rex like a ragdoll and i don't suspect it would really be able to manhandle naomi watts and not mess up her beautiful hair or be a loving, gentle boyfriend to her :)

but they make a lovely pair, don't you say?

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Cool. I'll bring the DVD.

"The Stunt Man" (1980). A cult classic. Good luck finding it.

Line spoken by the demonic director, played by Peter O'Toole. Another memorable line from this movie: "If God had such powers, he'd be a happy man."

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

netflix has it and i just added it. that and My Favorite Year, for good measure.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, a Peter O'Toole festival. :)

Let me know what you think. BTW, if you don't have a 5.1 surround sound system, make sure you set the audio preferences to two-channel stereo. They remixed the soundtrack for 5.1 for the DVD release, which buries some of the voices.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"i therefore order that no camera shall jam, and no cloud pass before the sun."

awesome.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So, you liked it?

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

mostly, yes. i didn't think much of railsback's acting chops, and i think a film about filming should take more care to be accurate about how filming is done, but o'toole was great and there were a bunch of wonderful moments.

i like how he kept swinging in on his directing crane, nicely willy-wonka-ish.

have you seen the dvd and the deleted scenes? there's a really nice scene in the police station which was cut; i thought it added nicely to barbara hershey's character.

thanks for the recommendation!

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, some of the acting wasn't that strong, and in some ways, the film doesn't date well. But I still think it's one of the better movies about the movies. The O'Toole character is certainly memorable. I understand he patterned his performance on David Lean, who directed him in "Lawrence of Arabia."

I own the DVD. I'm pretty sure I've watched the deleted scenes, but now that you mention it, I'll check. That little introduction by the director is supposed to help explain the movie, but no surprise, it's just as enigmatic as the movie itself.

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

introduction? i don't think my disc had that.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The liner notes on my copy said something like "the director asks you to watch the introduction before viewing the movie," but it doesn't play automatically. I had to go back and select it in the chapters index. If you haven't sent the DVD back yet, check it out. Not that you'll necessarily understand the movie any better for having watched it.