Music as a Necessity part 2

Discussion in 'Community' started by King Cobra, Jul 25, 2002.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

This topic does not seem to have it's own individual thread. So I thought I would bring this up.

Have you guys heard of something called DVD-Audio? I found out about a year ago what it’s like. It sounds pretty cool. Check out the link below for more info.

http://www.surroundedby.com/what-is-dvd-audio/index.html

Just like the CD, DVD-Audio focuses primarily on linear PCM digital audio. However, it provides a great range of audio sampling rates from a minimum of 44.1kHz (the best that a CD can do) to an outstanding 192kHz. The maximum number of channels is 6 (5.1 surround). In six channel mode, the sampling rate is limited to 96kHz/24-bit. The ultra-high samplng rates of 176.4kHz and 192kHz are limited to 2-channel stereo. Higher sampling rates result in extended frequency response which improves clarity and realism. DVD-Audio also has extraordinary dynamic range of up to 144dB (versus 96dB for audio CD).

2. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

whoa! I heard about DVD-Audio for a long time ago too... Didn't know the specs, though.

192 kHz is pretty awesome. You gonna need a seriously good stereo to match that sampling rate and that dynamic range...

<i don't have the time to read the article> How much music can you put on a DVD-Audio with different sampling rates? </i don't have the time to read the article>

3. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

I think if you use the same specs as the CD then you can store probably a hundred songs or so on the DVD. If you use the highest quality on the DVD (5.1 sound) then you may only get about 80 minutes of music. But it sounds incredible.

My bad on the late reply, but even a King has a late night meal. :p :cool:

4. Pepzhez macrumors regular

Check out this item concerning hi-rez audio in Jaguar:

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1396

Now note that DVD-Audio is pretty much dead in the water. Sony/Phillip's rival SACD format (using DSD instead of PCM) looks like it will be the hi-rez format of choice (as far as the labels and electronics industries are concerned). It really all boils down to, yes ... copy protection.

Universal has already announced that all future audio releases will be dual layer, hybrid SACD/redbook CDs. EMI has already dropped support for DVD-Audio.

So I would be careful about investing in DVD-Audio equipment. (And, no, your current DVD player cannot play those discs.)

Every individual SACD generates its own encryption and requires a hardware decoder to unlock it; DVD-Audio is based on the DVD-video encryption scheme and how many of you already have a DeCSS app installed? (I know I do!)

Look at it this way: whichever of these two formats gains prominence, all of the following is over and done with; you'll never be able to:

1. Rip your music to your HD to put into iTunes, etc.

2. That expensive iPod you just bought? Now a paperweight - no way to digitally get the music out of the SACD (unless you want to record in analogue through your soundcard).

3. Backup your music to CD-R/DVD-R? Nope. Unless you record in analogue, etc.

If you don't believe me, read this objective article about the ins and outs of SACD, and take special note of its dark conclusion:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?374

Hi-rez is of course a great idea, but not when it's crippled to the extent that SACD is. If you care anything at all about your fair use rights, you should REFUSE to buy products such as this.

(Oh, and Sony has stated that they will NOT license SACD for use in computers - PC or Macs. There will be no SACD drives, period.)

5. Pepzhez macrumors regular

Needless to say, thanks to Jaguar's audio capabilities, Apple will be miles ahead of Windows in the pro audio world. What other OS runs native surround sound in hi-resolution? Absolutely no one.

Even if the current Apple hardware lags behind, 10.2 (provided it works as advertised!) will absolutely blow away the competition. Well, there is no competition, really.

Now do you see why Apple bought emagic/Logic Audio? And now do you see why they immediately dumped Windows support for Logic Audio? Windows users have been in an uproar over this, but now it makes total sense to me. There's just no possible way a Windows OS which does not natively support surround sound and high-rez would be able to run the next version of Logic Audio.

Look out. When Logic Audio for Jaguar is released (and when Apple finally gets around to putting out upgraded towers), Apple will be the ONLY choice for pro audio. Wintel is simply light years behind here.