Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

River Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I am a first time user of iTunes as I have just purchased a shuffle and have another question. I have about 60 songs that I downloaded before becoming a iTunes/iPod user. Is there a way I can transfer those songs into iTunes for use on my iPod? I downloaded them from Adelphia my internet service and the songs are legal. I really want to use them on my iPod if possible.

River Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I am currently setting up a new computer for use with iTunes and my songs are on my old computer and they are .wav files and .mpg files. What format is better as I have all songs in both formats? The only software I have on my old computer is easy cd creator, but I don't think I can just save .mpg with that as it wants to make a cd for cars. Any suggestions would be helpful. I am doing my best to learn this stuff.

River Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
I figured out how to copy them now which is better for iTunes the .wav or .mp3? I want to use this music with my ipod.

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
River Hill said:
I figured out how to copy them now which is better for iTunes the .wav or .mp3? I want to use this music with my ipod.

As far as quality, .wav is infinitely better as it's uncompressed audio. Mp3, on the other hand, is compressed and therefore lower in quality (you may not notice though, depending on what you're listening on).

The downside to .wav is that 1 minute of audio equals approximately 10MB, whereas 1 minute of MP3 is approximately 1MB (depending on your quality settings).

Considering that you are using a Shuffle, you should definitely go with MP3 as the Shuffle has a very limited capacity. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.