music collection burning on dvd in iTunes 4

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by homeshire, May 12, 2003.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

:confused:
    had an issue with archiving my music collection to dvd. i solved it and thought ok, ready to burn. so i create the playlist, click burn, it asks for a blank disc, i insert a blank dvd-r purchased from the apple store and click burn, it takes the disc and checks media.

the first time, it said that it was initializing and beginning burn, then it spit the disc back at me and said there was an error code 50, which apparently has something to do with a parameter error, however, that's all greek to me.

successive attempts result in the disc being spit back at me without the system doing anything else to give me a clue why it won't burn. utter silence, as it were.

I reset the prefs to burn 2x, as stated on the disc, rather than maximum speed possible. didn't help.

this is a modest collection containing only 1.05 GB of data, not nearly the capacity of the disc. the collection contains mp3 and aac. i have iTunes4, Quicktime 6.2, and OS X 10.2.6

I have seen lots of burn issues in various forums, but i have not seen this specific issue. can anyone help? thanks

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Are you trying to burn an MP3/DVD? I don't think iTunes will let you do that. Once it recognizes that your disc is a DVD and not a CD it will probably abort as it is. Also I don't know of any MP3 players that will recognize a DVD as a playable MP3 disc. I have tried this myself but using Toast not iTunes.

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

prefs are set to burn a Data CD, not an mp3. my purpose is to archive my collection for backup, not to play it, or be able to play it. are you saying that iTunes will not permit DVD burning under any circumstances? because if so, then no one can hope to archive an entire collection over appr. 700MB on one disc. if that's so, then i guess that's so. but i would have thought that iTunes would not have a problem with DVDs for archiving. indeed, if memory serves, i once asked iTunes (3, i believe) to burn a disc for me, and inadvertantly had the entire collection chosen, and it came back with a msg that i would need a DVD to do it. perhaps i'm just dreaming, i'm just really surprised to hear that iTunes will have nothing to do with a DVD, no matter what. is that correct? thanks.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't know if iTunes will use a DVD at all it might it might not, but this in no way prevents one from archiving there music.

Just insert the DVD and chose prepare. Then drag all your music in the finder to the disc and then chose burn from the file menu. You don't need any additional software or anything it's all built right into the system.

You can also select all of your music in iTunes and then while holding the 'option' key drag them all to the DVD on the desktop. This will make a copy of all your music in iTunes to the DVD so you can burn a copy using the system.

5. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

it worked for me

i'm not sure what's going on, but it worked wonderfully on my superdrive powerbook, and it does do it like an MP3 CD even though it says back-up DVD... i popped it back in and they play off the dvd just fine.. 4.2 gigs on the disc 1x burn (thats all the powerbook will do)

good luck with that man... not sure what your fix would be..:(

6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

I have successfully archived to DVD in iTunes 4. Set preferences to burn Data CD.

When iTunes recognizes it as a DVD it should give you the warning that it will play on your computer but may not play elsewhere yadda yadda.

I don't know what the error is you're getting but iTunes can do what you are trying to do.

7. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

one of the key features in itunes 4 was DVD archiving just like in iPhoto 2. so you can do it, BUT I have been havng issues with it, I can burn the disk but once its complete the disk will not mount on my desktop. it works on a windows machine but on my my mac. what gives? anyone else burn a dvd in itunes 4 yet?

Tyler

8. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Try restarting and zapping the PRAM. If that doesn't work, if your music is consolidated (ie in the ~/Music folder), just drag that to the DVD-R icon in the Finder (don't open iTunes), and burn from there.

9. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guys for all your replies. have spent considerable time on the phone with apple care, and they are telling me to take it it to my local apple store. btw, i'm a little surprised because the people at apple said that burning to dvd within iTunes wasn't possible. and yet a few of you claim you've done just that. what's up with that? i don't even know what to do now. do i take it in? :eek:

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Even iTunes help explains burning to a DVD. Just open iTunes go to help and search for DVD.

11. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

you'd be surpirsed that most people in here are far more knowledgable then apple store employees. most can just read what is on the card for the computer.

Tyler

12. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

well, i spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with applecare yesterday. i went through an entire 5-pack of dvd-r bought from the apple store and every one of them was bad. either i have to believe that or take the unit in to the apple store. i really can't decide what to do. i have the receipt for the dvd-r pack. should i take them into the store and have them check them and confirm that it is the discs, or conversely the drive? i was speaking with an advanced technician from applecare (whatever that means), and she said to simply take it in to the store and reference my case number. it just seems an awful mess to go through if indeed (however unlikely) it is just a case of a bad pack of dvd-r. also, just for information purposes, when it all failed to burn on dvd, i turned around and burned the entire collection on 2 cds. the process went flawlessly to conclusion. what are the chances that there is a problem with burning dvd, but cd will burn flawlessly? thanks

13. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

i had a thought that i should try burning at speed 1x. so this morning i tried it. i think i burned my entire collection. i say that i think because i really am not sure, although every indication points to the fact that all the data is on the disc. i opened the disc in the finder in column view, scrolled over to the preview bar and clicked, and sure enough, the file played. get info on the icon shows everything in order. just 2 concerns. the whole process took 10 minutes. when i burned this collection yesterday on 2 cds, the process took an hour (give or take). it just doesn't seem possible to me that this machine burned 1 GB of data in 10 minutes in iTunes, especially at 1x speed. secondly, when i double-clicked a file on the dvd, it launched iTunes, played the file, and i thought all is great, until i noticed that it was playing a file from a different playlist, not from my archive disc icon within the playlist listing. is something up here? i also am wondering why it is spec'd to burn at 2x but won't, and suddenly will at 1x? the only thing i can think of that i changed otherwise is in system prefs, i went in last night and unchecked put hard drive to sleep whenever possible in the energy saver prefs, as i remembered from way back that this gave me an issue on dvd playback. after burning (i hope) the dvd, i then tried a different dvd and burning from the finder. that however gave me the same old error result. however, the dialog window gave the speed as maximum, as i couldn't find a way to specifically set it to 1x in the finder. it seems permanently set to maximum. could i have some opinions from others who actually understand what's going on here? i really don't, and i just wanna try and understand what's happening here. thanks much.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I think you're encountering a software issue. I really really doubt you came across an entire box of bad DVDs from Apple. Those really are very good DVDs. Okay just for the hell of it I just started a data burn to a DVD with iTunes using one of my cheap DVDs I use for backup. I'll let you know how it goes. For 900MB it estimated 8minutes so that would fall in line with your burn time.

15. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

i'l be anxious to hear your results. i still cannot burn from the finder, and now seem unable to burn from within iTunes again. i spent considerable time with the applecare guy. we went through everything, and his bottom line analysis was that i needed to take it in to my friendly neighborhood apple store (which isn't all that near). his thoughts are that the auto-negotiator is failing, for whatever reason, and this falls within the area of hardware problems. am tentatively planning on taking her in tomorrow, so hope to hear from you and some others yet tonight, as i may be off line for a few days otherwise.
    aaaaaarrrrrggghhh!!!! no macrumors for a few days -- oh, the pain:eek:

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Okay here's the deal. Everything went smoothly and it automatically brought the DVD up in iTunes after finishing. Like I said this was with cheap DVDs that I know for a fact that the system will fail with if I attempt putting more then 4.1GB on.

I believe I had a similar problem as yours in the past but I fixed by doing a complete reinstall of the system. Being sure not to copy old preferences over. I then created a new user folder and copied my user data from the old folder created by the system installed to my freshly created user. This seemed to fix all my supposedly hardware problems.

I would attempt fixing it with software before going to the effort of taking it to the nearest(distant) Apple authorized store for repair.