Music Copyright in Video...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Grasbak, May 21, 2006.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Hi, I am making some home movies of family holidays.

Am I able to use any of my owned music as a background? For example the Indiana Jones theme?

I wouldnt be making any money from it, but would be giving copies of the movie to members of the family.

Thanks

2. menziep macrumors 6502a

I Belevie that is ok, if your not selling the movies then there shouldnt be any problems

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

for personal use this should be ok but if you're worried, get in touch with the MCPS/PRS guys -

http://www.mcps.co.uk/

:)

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Your fine, nobody will come after you, your not even making money off of it. Don't worry about it.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What they all said ^^
    But some definitions.
    You don't own any of the music you have purchased. It is owned by the copyright holders, and licensed to you for personal use.

If you want to use it for purposes other than private listening, then you would pay an additional license fee for public performance (nightclub, restaurant, elevator) or for synchronization (TV, film and video). Somewhere or another, there will be a definition of when a video requires sync. license. You would contact the performing rights society that the artist/publisher is signed up with.

6. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

7. octoberdeath macrumors regular

octoberdeath

Fcp

i don't get why apple lets you import iTunes purchased music into iMovie and it works fine... but doesn't in Final Cut Pro! i know it probably has something to do with FCP being a professional application but that doesn't mean that i'm always using it for professional means.

8. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

I know, especially as DVDSP does allow the use of iTMS tracks.

iMovie comes to the rescue mind you: just pile the iTMS tracks in and export as .aif. (you have to have at least one video clip in now)

9. Lebowski macrumors 6502

well, FCP handles .aiff files.... so you need to convert your mp3 or aac files to aiff.

10. octoberdeath macrumors regular

octoberdeath

oh really! well thanks so much... now i don't have to worry about using iMovie or burning a cd and reimporting to get around the system.

11. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Is there an easy way to do this directly from iTunes if for music downloaded from the iTunes store? I tried to select "Advanced -> Convert Selection to AIFF", but got an error message saying that this wouldn't work for protected music files.

- Martin

12. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

To do this you need to burn and rip the files. iTunes won't let you transcode protected songs into an unprotected format.

Lethal