Music download sites for iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wasimyaqoob, Jun 17, 2006.

1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Does anyone know of any good legal sources where you can subscribe to download unlimited music onto my iPod?

For example, like Napster but a Mac version?

Would really appreciate it thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple has set the iPod to only work properly with its own iTMS. :)

3. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

ITUNES ISNT the only place to get songs for you ipod!!!
    There are MANY Free Mp3 websites that give away music in generic MP3 format that is COMPATIBLE WITH THE IPOD.
    You can get 25 Free MP3 Songs when you sign up with this website EMUSIC.com it sells independent MP3's with a subscription service.
    Check THIS OUT ARTICLE

There used to be a Program called Jhymn that worked with Mp4(itunes) Files.
    It would Strip the DMR off of it, and turn it into a regular MP3.
    I dont know if it has been updated to work anymore though.

All you would have to do is find a program that strips the DRM off the Napster files to put in on the iPOD. It will handle any generic MP3 file.
    You would problably be more likely to find a PC program that does this.
    Theoreticaly it should only be illegal to use this if you share the files with anyone else. Its not Illegal if your buying the song to begin with and keeping it as a generic MP3.
    Its not as hard as you think to get free music for your IPod!!!

4. Rovman macrumors regular

Yes, the iPod/iTunes handles any non-DRMified MP3's and AAC's (m4a)

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i don't know about a place that allows for unlimited downloading, but http://allofmp3.com/ is a really cheap place that has an excellent selection.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

allofmp3 has been deemed illegal. There was a recent article about it claiming that the proceeds to sales aren't going to the correct people, blah blah blah.

In any case, the whole thing was awfully shady to begin with. Besides, I'm not comfortable giving credit card information to some Russian outfit.

ft

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Why don't you just give iTunes Music Store a try. You do want to, you know, own the songs you pay for, right?

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

What says the OP already hasn't? I can see him disliking ITMS, I know I do.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I still haven't heard any good valid reason why some people profess to *hate* iTunes. Is it because the music selection is too vast and far too easy to access? Is it because you actually own the music you buy and nobody can ever take it away, not even if you cancel your iTunes account? Or is it because of how well it integrates into your Mac and works with your iPod?

What in god's name is the actual reason? :confused:

10. imacintel macrumors 68000

Yes, why do you hate it? You make as much sense as my dad. He says he does not like Canon cameras bacause he doesn't.:confused: :rolleyes:

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In the OP's defense, he never stated that he hated iTMS. Hate is such a strong word. There are many people that prefer the subscription service over the buy service.

I surmise that maybe the OP likes to listen to music that is popular at the moment and after he's heard it a dozen or two times, he moves on. For this type of listener, a subscription service makes sense.

ft

12. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

not rue the music selection isn't to vast if you like indie music like I do.....they kinda suck on indie stuff at least in my opinion, granted they are getting better.

13. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Your sarcasm seems limitless on this issue. However, iTMS is great, very easy to use, work wells, decent selection. I don't even mind the DRM. However.

I will not be paying $0.99 for crappy quality audio. Which is just what iTMS offers up. I can go buy the CD and get a lossless high quality version of the track, for nearly the same price. And guess what? I own and can do with it whatever I please. I am not limited to iTunes, I can put it wherever I want, on any device I want.

While the usage is a side issue, as I do own an iPod and I use iTunes. Those are valid problems people have with it.

My issue is in fact the quality. Those songs should be more like $.25 at the quality I am getting. I would gladly pay $.99 for the convienence of buying online for quality comparable to the CD I would buy in a store. Until then, no dice for me. Except for exclusives.

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I was under the impression this was an iTunes Music Store vs. Online Subscription debate. No kidding CDs you buy in stores are better.

My sarcasm bag is always full.

15. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Well, if it was a debate, why bring in the question of why people dislike iTMS? I simply stated why I don't like it, and that is because of the quality.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, in the context of this thread topic, it sounds like you were saying "i dont like iTunes music quality, so therefore I go with a subscription service"

17. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

From the words in my original post. I was comparing iTMS to CDs. In which case I buy CDs.

You are correct though. I didnt touch on other services. I don't buy from them either, because of the quality.

18. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Just to get this back on topic, the OP was looking for a subscription service that offers unlimited downloads and is compatible with the iPod.

A: I don't think there is one at this time.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm a little confused as to why you jumped into this thread supporting the music format (in-store CDs) that nobody was putting down (or talking about for that matter)?

20. vv-tim macrumors 6502

Yeah... basically allofmp3.com makes you pay to download illegal music.
    Really now, I'll just do it myself for free if I plan on committing copyright infringement :p

21. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

iTunes is the best option by far I highly recommend it more than any other service.

22. Rovman macrumors regular

There is no better legal alternative to ITMS, but that isn't to say ITMS is good. All that music you have legally purchased that you now own is totally useless should you decide to get some new fancy "music" player that may come out in the future that isn't an iPod.

Thats the fundamental flaw with DRM, it punishes those who do actually buy the music, while those that don't still continue to get it free elsewhere, in higher quality audio, with no DRM. The sooner the music industry learns this the better :/

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Gee, nobody replaced my LPs and Cassette tapes for free when CDs came along.

By the same lights, then, the automobile industry ought to learn that charging people for cars punishes the ones who obtain them legally. If the companies gave away their cars, automobile theft would go way down.

24. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I still use allofmp3 in good faith as nobody has yet to point me to definitive evidence that says it is illegal in a cut and dry manner. Shady, maybe. Technically illegal? I'm not so sure.

25. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No it's not. That's what burning CDs is for. I believe you cant even burn CDs with the subscription services.