music download

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kangaroo, Oct 23, 2004.

1. kangaroo macrumors regular

I recently downloaded some tracks from MusicMatch (tracks not available on iTunes) and noticed some glitches (pauses, drops, etc) in the track. This has never happened to me on iTunes. Has it happened to any of you--is it a common problem? I can't even inquire at MusicMatch since they don't provide support for 'basic' (i.e., free) memberships--not even an email link. This is what I get for straying. :eek:

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Do you mean for PC? I noticed the PB in your sig but I'm not aware of MusicMatch on the Mac.

I've only had experience of iTMS but this is interesting. I had found a legal download music site (7digital) which does give downloads in both Windows (WMA) and Mac/iPod formats (192kbps AAC) for 99p a track (more expensive than 79p/track on iTMS here in the UK) and was thinking about trying it out. This was interesting because I was unaware that Apple had licensed FairPlay DRM to anyone. Of course they could either use their own DRM (but then it wouldn't work on iPods and iTunes, which they clearly state they do) or no DRM at all (I doubt the music industry would like that!) so I'm not sure :confused:

I don't think you are a traitor for not using iTMS! :p

3. kangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, for the PC. Once in the PC, I can then use iTunes to convert them and add them to my iTunes library. I downloaded the tracks via a Wireless network, with a less than excellent signal strength, but even so, I would assume they're using a sophisticated error checking process to ensure that the downloads are glitch free. Since I can't even contact the ba$tard$, I'm not sure what to do. :mad:

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I thought iTunes could only convert unprotected WMA files?

Oh well, it sounds like you should stick with Apple's service ;). I wouldn't have thought downloading via wireless would make any difference, or that error checking has anything to do with it. I presume they're just crummy tracks in the first case. Mind you, I'm not entirely convinced that converting music from one format to another (unless converting from AIFF) would not seriously degrade quality. I'm not sure it would create gaps and the like though.

5. kangaroo thread starter macrumors regular

You're right--iTunes can only convert unprotected WMA files. I don't know why I thought I could get away with that--I guess a little brain fog. I'll have to burn them and then get them over that way. Thanks for your interest johnnyjibbs.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My guess would be unprotected AAC as the format, unless Apple and 7digital have some special agreement I don't know about...

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

From looking about the site, it appears the AAC files are unprotected, whereas the Windows media ones are. Although they don't seem to have a huge selection of tracks, it does at least suggest the record companies aren't entirely averse to distributing content online without DRM.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or perhaps the record companies have no say in the matter?? me thinks that these people are doing behind the record companies backs

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I would have thought that would be a little bit of a risky proposition. Not that the record companies are that into the internet yet :rolleyes:

The use of WMA everywhere really annoys me. I hate it when I load a music site and it says "sorry we've detected you're on a Mac" and then doesn't even let me into the site. Ok, so it's partly Apple's fault, but with my first iPod shipping next week (I don't have any other portable players), WMA is no use to me anyway. :mad:

10. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I think they must have the labels' agreement; they are their clients after all, but whether they understand that plain AAC files are not protected, who knows? I wonder if the labels understood the distinction between the limits burning playlists and burning songs, when they signed up to iTMS in the first place.

Anyway, enjoy your new iPod, you won't regret it :D