Music Editing

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Paolo, May 9, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

What is good cost effective music editing software?

Thanks

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

There's plenty to choose from on the free/shareware front

Protools Free, available from the digidesign site is a good one, I used for a while before I upgraded to the LE version with it's own soundcard.

Do you want to record audio into you're mac ?

You'll need something like an iMic to do that, it's a USB device that provides an audio input you can choose in soundmanager.

Protools Free lets you do a lot more than simply record, it's a midi sequencer aswell. If it's just pure audio editing, there's Peak LE from bias, It's about £60 here in the UK. It's got a very simple interface and it doesn't require 192Mb to run effiently like protools does.

Check out the editors page on the Shareware Music Machine site, it's got a lot of freeware, shareware and demos of commercial stuff to try out and it's provided me with a lot of unique effects I use in my music.

3. kevine macrumors newbie

For OSX, there is nothing, nothing at all

Many years ago Macromedia released SoundEdit 16. It hasn't been updated for a very long time, but it still kinda works with OS9 (some functions don't work). To date nobody has released a decent OSX compatible multi-track audio recorder/editor.

I remember almost a decade ago when for very little $$$ you could use say a Quadra 840av to master a CD. Not anymore...nope. There are about a bazillion 2 channel sound recorder/editors, many with very decent interfaces that work with OSX, but they don't do much good without multi-track capability. There are some multi-track sound apps, but they really, really suck big time.

You could use FinalCut Pro, but that's extreme overkill and $$$$$.

Ah, the good ole days of SoundEdit 16. I don't know why Apple didn't buy this when they purchased Final Cut from Macromedia. They bundle Peak with FinalCut, but Peak lacks much of the functionality that SoundEdit had.

I wish someone would take SoundEdit 16 and carbonize it. Keep it elegant, simple, and clean...perhaps add the new sound formats and newer inputs. Then create a non-destructive editor (again, simple and clean) and integrate the two into one package...hell, call it iStudio!

4. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Depends of what you want to do.

If you want really free stuff get it in the net some where.

Are you gonna edit audio or midi?

5. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Well...

If you are only wanting to do simple editing and recording, I think that Sound Studio from Felt Tip software is great! http://www.felttip.com

I use it for a small classical music recital recording business, and it works very well. It even has some filters and effects. A nice, simple program. Oh yeah, it's OS X native also.

Gus

6. kevine macrumors newbie

Re: Well...

It's well designed, simple and elegant, but with only 1 track of audio, it's not of much use. Unfortunately this holds it back from competing with 10+ year old software...or dare I say Windows software. They could easily charge 3-4 times what they now do if they added multiple tracks.

7. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

Music editing

I want to be able to filter and edit music through my mac, and then output it.

I'm unsure how to pull it off though!
    Thanks