Music Execs put Gun to thier own heads ...Threaten to pull Plug on iTunes.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jiggie2g, Sep 29, 2005.

1. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

http://broadbandreports.net/shownews/67966

I can't begin to say how furious these people make me. Between the RIAA and MPAA. This is no surprise why the current state of the facist U.S. is now in a state that has been only equaled by the fall of Rome. There is absolutely no limit to the greed these people have

Jobs approached these people 2yrs ago , offered to create a newmarket for them to sell music. Gave them the Lions share of the profits. Now they not only want to raise prices on songs but some are also demanding a cut of the iPods revenue.

Today this arsehole music exec is saying they are considering pulling the plug on iTunes. HAHAHAHAHAHHA

Please do it Jerkoffs , and I will gladly watch the music industry sinks faster than the Titanic, my finger will be itching to double click on my Kazaa Lite desktop Icon. Don't they realize they will will hurt themselves by doing this. Apple will keep selling iPods no matter what they do.

How can these so called executives with thier MBA's call themselves business men when they do not understand even the most basic principles of business. They have a cash cow and then want to kil it cuz they can't milk it any harder. well sorry guys I guess you will have to wait that extra week to get your new Lambrogini.

Jobs is a marketing Genius , much Props to him for grabbing the bull by the horns and standing up to these scum bags.

Look'em in the eye Steve these Monkeys will Blink every time cuz as much as they Hate you ,they hate the Idea of no Legit Downloading + Skyrocketing Priate Music downoading backlash = No Cash for them at all ...even more.

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

3. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

The Music industry is being rocked by change. They are constantly trying to do things that will make good long term impact for them. I'm sure they have done more analysis that you have and that they know what they are doing.

Basically, no matter the outcome, they are going to have to lose a lot before they gain anything.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

once it becomes mainstream to release tracks and albums online, on a band (or group's) website then the record companies will have no choice.

Record companies make $ from a contract that pays for the bands recording (studio time mixing etc) in exchange for 90% of the profit from the music made with their money.

Since 90% of music can today be made at home without a multi million dollar studio, its only a matter of time before (as someone else put it) musicians cut out the middle man of the record co and sell directly to the users.

Record companies are a drain on the music industry, thhey dont MAKE anything, they dont CREATE anything, except profits (and it seems they arent content making what they do today)

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

We don't even have iTunes store available down here and already the iPods sales are rocketing sky high. I cannot even find a store with the 4G nano still on stock. omg, sometimes, ego, greed and pride makes people goes really blind and stupid.

6. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I don't think people are buying ipods becasue they want to use the iTMS. That's just a nice extra. Take away the iTMS and I'll find another way to download music onto my ipod. And I'll also continue to primarily buy physical CD's in mosty cases as I do today...

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I like to think of myself as a pretty morally strong individual. Haven't stolen anything like movies or software or any of that. But for some reason I don't think I would feel bad at all if I were to steal music online. I don't, lets make that clear. But the greed of these record labels are insatiable.

How in the hell can they justify a price increase on a service that was solely based to help them out and sell iPods. What was that figure again? 97 cents on the dollar they get from an iTunes download? Isn't that more than fair?
    Add the the money saved from not having to package, house, and ship, I wouldn't be surprised if they were making close to $2.00 a song.

Unbelievable

I have Kazaa and I'm not afraid of viruses!

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Thats more than true. Most of the people I talk to who bought an iPod that are also Windows users, haven't even heard of iTMS. Take away the music store and people will still buy iPods hand over fist.

9. angelneo macrumors 68000

Right now, there is already a ton of ITMS users out there. If they took away iTMS suddenly, where are they going to get their music? The answer would be pretty simple for some of the users.

10. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Totally. I got my first ipod before the music store was instituted, and I've had three since. I do not use the itunes music store; I buy all my music used from amazon.com then convert the cd to mp3 for ipod use. My sister has ipods and doesn't use itunes music store. Same for my girlfriend. I just gave a friend one of my old ipods (with a fresh battery) and he doesn't use the itunes music store either. Come to think of it, I don't know anyone who uses the itunes music store. I mean, I have before, but I can't justify spending more on digitized music than I do on a hard copy plus packaging and shipping. Not to mention the fact that every time I've bought music from itunes music store I've burned a cd and re-ripped it so I could have non-drm-crippled music, adding to the cost of the itunes music even more. And then there's the whole issue with the significant loss of sound quality at the extremely low bitrate the itunes music store attempts to pass off as acceptable. All in all for me its mostly a good concept that needs a lot of work.

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

Maybe that's why they want a chunk of the iPod revenue, they figure that there are still many countries where iTMS could not reach but iPods are already selling like hotcakes over those areas. By getting a share in the revenue stream, they are effectively getting more money than they deserve, targeting people who don't even use iTMS.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Can I guess that the answer is not "stores"? ;)

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

With the Music industry money is big, but control is bigger.

They fear that the success of iTunes has caused them to lose some control to Apple.

But they fail to see that their control benifits music publishers and distributers, NOT the artists and CERTAINLY not the consumer.

Whom was the music industry created to serve? The consumer of course, and also the artist. But a disproportionate amount of profit goes to the middleman.

I think that iTunes benefits the consumer and artist by trimming the amount that goes (unnecessarily) to the record labels, making music more affordable. It also has the secondary benefit of curbing piracy by offering an easy, efficient and affordable way for people to buy music who might otherwise use P2P.

14. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

The only analysis they have done is trying to figure out how to bleed listeners even more for the terrible music they put out. If they ever actually did any industry analysis they would realize that digital downloads are the future of the music business and they had better not screw with it if they want to be in existence 10 years from now. I just pray every day that more musicians will start distributing their music themselves over the internet and do away with the recording industry altogether.
    You know, maybe the major labels pulling out of iTMS might actually be a good thing. I can see iTunes, devoid of major labels, becoming a bastion for small indy labels or even individual artists who want to promote themselves without the recording industry. Because the iTMS is already popular, these worthy but unrepresented musicians would easily find the listeners they need and become mainstream, possibly selling millions of albums. Soon all of the most popular artists would be independent and the recording industry would go bankrupt and disappear. The world would have rid itself of one more Antichrist. I don't know if this ever would/could happen, but anything's possible.

15. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

well, i have never downloaded any music illegally. I have been tempted, but never given in. Not once. If the record labels pull the plug on the iTMS, then I more than likely will cross that line for the first time. I hate greedy bastards (and yes sometimes I hate myself because of the same reason, lol) and to me that is what the record labels are becoming. Just my two cents... :cool:

16. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Perhaps they should look at Australia for a model that works with no itms, hell their is no online music that is compatible with this the ipod in Austalia and look how well it sells

I used to have thousands of pirated tracks, got rid of all of them when i bought my ipod, now i have thousands of songs ripped from CD's, even that however is ilegal in Aus, bastards :mad:

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Just for this, I'm going to pirate 15 albums. I've had it with these jerk-offs. Music, I don't even care what kind, is not worth 15 bucks an album. Not even 10 an album.

The next dumb statement will cost them 30 albums from me. After that, 60. After that, 120. It will double every time.

18. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

To play devil's advocate (almost literally) -- the original pcpro.co.uk article puts the quote in the context of, the industry could cut off iTunes in a hypothetical scenario where Jobs wants to cut prices to 39 or 29 cents a song. If that price was across the board for all songs, at that point it might make sense for them to find (or create) another online vendor.

The RIAA would of course like more control over pricing of the content (their product). Jobs has resisted a "tiered" pricing plan, in which more popular songs would be priced more than less popular ones. Of course, Jobs's pricing scheme is much simpler and easier to implement, and there is arguably a psychological threshold when songs cost more than $1.

I can see both arguments, but, from a pragmatic standpoint, RIAA "greed" should be held in check by the existence of free downloads. IMO, if they choose to up prices regardless (via iTunes or not), they will regret it.

Afraid I don't see the big deal here, taking the quote in context.

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

You know what's going to happen eventually, right?

1. Piracy goes up, since any online music store that charges more than 99¢ won't gain the traction that iTMS was able to pull off. Digital music downloads will stall.

2. Some bands or less well-known musicians will dump their labels, and sell directly from iTMS at or below 99¢. Music downloads pick-up.

3. iTMS will become the clearinghouse for music downloads. Apple's future looks bright.

4. Music labels will beg to rejoin the iTMS, but this time, on Steve Job's terms, ie: labels get 2¢, the musicians get 49¢ and iTMS gets the rest (ok, that was a bit of a stretch) :p

5. The music labels and the greedy music industry as we know it disappears.

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

you realiize that you also hurt the artists, not only the greedystupidbloodsuckingdumb managers?

but i can understand your point. if they damage the only successful way to legally download music, they also stop the trend to actually buy rather than steal music. so far i never stole and music but if they pull the plug i'm going to join the pirates.

how arrogant are this greedystupidbloodsuckingdumb managers? in any industry prices go down when production costs go down. music industry is at that point. they should rationalize, lower costs, reduce prices like any other industry with at least some honor and dignity.

rationalize by firing this worthless, characterless lowlifes they call executives.
    cut the million dollar salaries and the million dollar parties.
    lower the costs by selling online.
    then lower the prizes.

that's the way to go.

21. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Agreed, Lacero. Long-term prognosis for RIAA member companies is not good considering their current business model. Like any other business, they must adapt or die.

Personally, I hate RIAA companies less than I do TicketMaster. Now there's a company that deserves a fall.

22. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

I can't believe they want a share of iPod revenue! Who do they think they are? Do they get a cut out of every CD player and tape deck sold? I don't think so. What's next? Take every audio CD out of public libraries because they're illegally 'shared'? Jeez.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the RIAA can kiss my @ss! The only ones that music sharing hurt are the already multi-millionaire mega-stars...and, is that really hurting them in the big scheme of things? Does it really hurt to only have the 50 foot yacht because music sharing made it so they can't get the 60 foot yacht? I'll support the indy artists...the rest won't be seeing a dime of my money.

23. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

People have been saying that for Y-E-A-R-S, but it's just not gonna happen. Who is gonna pay for the marketing and promotion of your bands album? There are probably hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of bands/musicians world wide. How are you gonna drive traffic to your site? Who is gonna pay for CD manufacturing and distribution? Who is gonna pay for you to go on tour? Yeah, you can record to your heart's content in some dudes basement for a few hundred bucks, but if you were given the choice between that and a modern studio (both free of charge) which would you choose? Multimillion dollar studio's are still around because they still serve a purpose. Just like solid producers and engineers can help a band craft a sound that, on their own, the band wouldn't have been able to achieve. Yes, the marketplace is shifting, and the role of studios and labels will change, but thinking that they'll go away completely is just nuts.

99.9% of the DIY music and movies out there sucks royally. I mean, it's just god awful. There is a reason most unsigned bands on unsigned. For the 0.1% that is good they'll probably get signed (maybe to an indie, maybe to a major) and that'll most likely help them 'cause they'll have more time to concentrate on making music and they'll spend less time worrying as much about the business side of the music business.

The great thing about technology is helps level the playing field. The horrible thing about technology is it helps level the playing field.

Not that it's an exact comparison, but has the internet helped a new generation of novelists reach fame and fortune by letting them by-pass publishing houses?

Lethal

24. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I don't understand why the record company would want to raise prices for itumes music store when most of hte other music stores charge less than apple... wal-mart offers most downloads for 88 cents. it's clearly not an issue of price but of control.