Music files on External HD playing on iTunes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Soire, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Soire macrumors regular

So I just got a 250 gig LaCie d2 external HD to help my iBook along and supplement my future rev. B G5 purchase. The thing is, I'm putting all my .mp3 files on it and I can't "import" them into itunes.

If I drag them into iTunes it copies the files onto my laptop harddrive, which is exactly what I don't want to do. How can I add the songs on my external HD to my iTunes library? Choosing "import" has all the files whited out so i can't select them. I know I'm an idiot, but could somebody tell me what I need to do? Thanks.

2. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

There are two ways to do this:

"Preferences..." | "Advanced" | Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

"Preferences..." | "Advanced" | Change "iTunes Music folder location" to be the directory on your external hard drive.

Also, use "Add to Library..." instead of "Import...". You should have all of your MP3 files in one main directory with subdirectories depending on however you have your albums sorted. Use the "Add to Library..." function to select that main directory.

3. Soire thread starter macrumors regular