music from DVD to iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by fjs08, Jun 5, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I have a DVD. I'd like to get the music onto my old iPod. How do I do that??

Frank

2. dfreer macrumors newbie

If you are using windows, try using DVDecrypter and the stream processing option to rip just the audio file from the DVD. It'll prolly just end up with one huge .mp3 file, but you could download some simple music editing software to split it up.

3. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

Try FFMPEGX.
    http://www.ffmpegx.com/

Just choose Movie to MP3, and it'll extract the audio. If it's a protected movie, you might first need to use MacTheRipper to extract the movie.

now, drop the mp3 into iTunes
    (unless you need to cut it up, then use QT to make your selections, then import to iTunes)

4. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

5. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

FFMPEGX is a Mac program
    So is MacTheRipper

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>FFMPEGX is a Mac program
    So is MacTheRipper<,

Can any of these damage the original DVD??? Or is it a "copy" -- "Paste" type thing but in a "rip" -- "Paste" concept??? If that makes any sense<g>.

Frank

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It most assuredly cannot alter the original DVD if it is a retail DVD bought from a store. DVD is a read only format so, besides dragging your keys across the disk, it is impossible to alter the disk in any way. Recordable DVDs can be altered, but that's another story. And in any case, the so-called "ripping" of audio, video or whatever is basically just a fancy way of saying it copies the data from the shiny disk onto your hard disk, leaving the original as it was. So feel free to rip away with impunity. But be sure to watch out for the RIAA and MPAA who are spying on you and prepared to send storm troopers crashing through your windows as soon as you hit the copy button!

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is my own purchased copy of The Eagles Farewell Tour I (ONE)!!
    I love the music, but for some reason, The Eagles have never sold the music from that DVD as just "music." I'd love to get either the music, or if I get a new video iPod, the entire music/video on the iPod.

Frank

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I normally just Audio Hijack Apple's DVD player and then convert the output to AAC using iTunes.

10. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I second this option of using Audio Hijack. The only caveot is that you must play the DVD to record it. Using MTR/FFMPEGX (might be) faster, but if you want to watch it anyway, then use AH.

I use the MTR/FFMPEGX option when I'm not interested in watching the movie, or when I have multiple movies to rip (I have a friend who likes to get audio samples from movies for his DJ'ing)