Music in VPC 6.1

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 25, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I just got a copy of VPC 6.1 and was wondering why whenever i play music it plays like a snail. The music plays at about 1/4 the actual speed. It's not even a real song, i'm trying to play a midi file. I have XP pro and it has 256 ram set to VPC. I'm think the problem is not enough ram but i don't know. Anyone know the reason?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

That's an unusual problem. I don't know why vpc would do that. Does it play regular speed in Quicktime on your Mac?

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, it plays normal time on my mac. I wasn't sure if this is normal or not. According to VPC, my machine in "windows" is like a 600 mhz processor with 256 ram. Everything is very slow when opening windows. I'm thinking it is the amount of ram. I have 512 in the mac. Is there any way to increase the amount of ram i have set in VPC?

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

My guess to this problem is that in PC land, most soundcards come with a hardware synthesizer, the sounds are stored on the card and playback through hardware. On the Mac side, sounds are played out of software so it takes more processing. So because you are emulating non-existent hardware, the already slow emulation has to make it up. Synthesizing a MIDI file is actually harder than playing back an MP3 for most computers, so I'm not surprised. No buffers and a lot of latency if the machine is trying to keep up.

cpjakes

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

cpjakes might be on the right track. I used to work with midi a lot on a 90mhz PC with 16 or 32Mb RAM and it was just fine--so strictly speaking memory and processing speed don't matter. But when you get into emulation...

What do you want to do with the midi file? Maybe we can find you something on the Mac side to deal with it.

6. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well i'm opening up my midi files in finale 2004, by doing this the sheet music is written out instantly and the song is played as it moves along the sheet music.