Music Labels Wary of Apple?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacBytes, May 4, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors regular

This is the most backwards opinion I've ever heard!
    The record companies are scared that Apple will succeed? What a load of rubbish. They NEED apple to succeed in order that they don't lose millions of dollars revenue from illegal downloads.

I would imagine the record companies have a large say in which artists are promoted. For example, I doubt Apple gets to choose which song the give away for free each week. I would imagine that is dictated by the record companies.

3. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

soooo its ok to be dominated by MS but not by Apple..... interesting way of thinking really :confused: :eek:

Edit:

Actually on second thoughts, all the other MP3 player providers on the market have all got a equal choice interms of promoting their music players it is just the customers who are voicing their opinions with their feet and wallets as to which music player they prefer and there for which music service they would eventually prefer to use. Apple just so happens to have designed and created the best portable device on the market and beaten its competitiors to the punch so now everybody else is seriously worried.

4. macrumors 65816

vollspacken

the music industry is so full of sh*t, it's unbelievable..!!! :mad:

vSpacken

5. macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Ah the corruption of the recording industry. This may be why their were rumors about raising the price on songs. It would kill Apple's domination.

6. macrumors 603

Stella

Labels obviously want online music stores to fail then... is it Apple's fault they are the company that puts out a decent music store?!!!!

Well, if record companies don't delivery what the customer wants, then piracy will only continue.

7. macrumors 603

wordmunger

The labels are obviously colluding in Europe--they are getting together to control the music market. They've formed some sort of agreement with each other not to sign with Apple until they all agree to terms. This is, of course, illegal, monopolistic behavior.

Let's hope the E.U. can get its act together and sue the recording industry to force them to act competitively: e.g. sign the deal that's best for each individual company, not gang up together to drive prices up and competition out.

8. macrumors 68040

shamino

Let me get this straight

The record labels are upset because Apple is selling lots of songs and they're getting lots of profit.

If this isn't clear-cut proof that the RIAA is only interested in power, and couldn't care less about anything else, I don't know what is.

9. macrumors 6502a

If more bigtime artists take the Jimmy Buffett route and go independent, the record companies as we know them today will simply not be able to survive.

This is, as far as I can see, a fact.

It therefore makes sense that they now are fearing the influence of the online music stores; it appears as if anyone whose sales are worth the megabytes can get on iTunes -- from any cooperating label, including of course independent labels.

If a successful and profitable musician's contract comes up and he or she is considering going independent, the record company has two options:
    a) let them go, killing the goose that laid the golden egg
    b) Offering a raise, which may or may not be persuasive, and costs money if it is.

The reason that the RIAA members fear online music distribution is very simple:
    It makes it possible for independent music to be highly successful.

10. macrumors 65816

Ding! DIng! Ding!

Somebody gets it! Or, more accurately, the option of online music makes it easier for big name acts to make more money and cut the labels out of the equation (because you won't get that clout without major help of the labels). And bigger name acts, I believe, is where the labels pin their hopes of generating revenue...

11. macrumors 603

Stella

Apple do not make a lot of profit for iTunes... the profit they made was very small..

12. macrumors regular

Lets call them MS in the EU

The EU should definitely look into this. It is starting to sound like some Microsoft business tactic. They are not trying to do what is best for internet music companies and the users. Their decision is biased, and only supports their own good.

13. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

I think SHAMINO was referring to the labels making lots of profit, not Apple, versus what they would have made if people had simply illegally downloaded many of the songs.

14. macrumors 65816

I wish this story had led on MacRumors.com. The most salient point, to my mind, is that it's not Apple's fault foreign iTMS is taking so long. Apple does indeed tend to treat non-American users as second-class customers, but it's not always for lack of trying.

15. macrumors bot

MacRumors

According to the Independent, licensing issues may not be the only thing holding back iTunes Europe.

The article claims that the five main record labels are become scared of Apple and it's success in the digital music arena. One source compares it to the rise of MTV:

16. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

What? The record labels get over 50% of the money from the iTMS. They are actually getting paid....unlike music videos.

I hate these morons, they don't get it. The alternative to the iTMS is not some other more record label friendly service where people pay outrageous prices for huge restrictions......it is Kazaa and illegal filing sharing.

Their options are to take it or leave what Apple is offering them-and they best take it.

17. macrumors Core

this is ridiculous i mean seriously this is just stupid, if they use iTunes then they can sell more records, isnt that what they want?? But instead they are dragging their feet because they dont want it to end up like MTV? i dont understand how they give away their stuff to iTunes

18. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

And yet watch what happens when MS comes into the mix. They will be all over them. What a load of crap.

19. macrumors regular

can anyone back this up with inside info from a record company?

20. macrumors regular

further confirmation on the suckage of record labels.

21. macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Totally agree, just like billy boy wants to impose a 'tax' on email, some how M$ will profit from that.

It will be a cold day in hell before I go along with that!

22. macrumors newbie

Perhaps they are reading the MacRumors boards!?

OK, not really, but isn't it a little freaky that dongmin just posted this in another forum:

23. macrumors newbie

iTunes Dictator

Does iTunes "dictate which stars or records succeed or fail by deciding which to promote on its site," as the articles states? :confused:

24. macrumors regular

deepkid

Yes and no

I'm not so certain that this is the same. Back when MTV and the likes were showing videos, I don't believe that they were paying the record labels in order to do so. The labels and artists probably regarded the airplay free marketing.

By contrast, speculation is that the labels are receiving the majority of revenues generated by online download music services today.

It would be interesting to take a peek at the renewal agreement between iTMS and the major labels to see if some controls were put in place by the labels in an attempt to further their agenda. But what's even more interesting is that we have the likes of Steve Jobs who negotiated this renewal and the outcome might not be as lopsided as some suspect.

25. macrumors P6

MacDawg

File sharing nets them zero $$ and they sue their potential consumers

ITMS brings in revenue and they are scared of it because of control (and in this case what control?)

The record labels don't have a digital solution, which is clearly what many consumers want... and yet they want to force them to buy the CDs which many will not

Will the artists eventually bypass the labels and go straight to the consumer digitally through an online distributor? Maybe that is their fear