Music mixing and synthesizer software ?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by CmdrLaForge, Apr 16, 2003.

1. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world

I am currently a PC user, but I think about switching to a Mac. I currently use my PC for a lot of stuff, and one is for music mixing. I like to describe what I'm doing with my PC. What I would like to know how I can do that with a Mac and which software is available at an affordable price.

Ok. First I'm a guitar player and songwriter.

I have a Digitech GNX3 workstation to record my songs on a smart media card. With the GNX3 you can record up to 8 tracks of guitars and/or voice and/or drums.

After recording I transfer the tracks to my PC. Therefore I use a smart media card reader.

The tracks are stored in the .wav format.

I have a mixing software called Musik Maker 2003. With that I can arrange up to 64 tracks and mix the tracks to a stereo .wav file which I then can burn on a music CD.

I don't need 64 tracks. Up to 16 tracks are enough.

So I hope you can help me and tell me which software is available for Macs to mix .wav files together.

Another thing that would be nice is to have a software synthizier to create some kind of background music.

So my questions are

Does anyone know a software to do mixing (not to expensive) ?

Does anyone know a software working as a synthesizer (not to expensive) ?

And the last question is if a iBook 800Mhz is fast enough to do that or do I need a Powerbook ?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    Micro Logic (slimmed down version of Logic Audio and Logic Platinum) supports all of the Emagic soft synths (the best you have ever heard, I gotta tell ya!). Logic PlatinumVerb just won an award for best DAW reverb. All the plugins rock.

Should meet your mixing needs.

My 800 MHZ iBook does a great job with Logic. I would recommend waiting for an update, however, as revised iBooks can't be far away.

Good luck! PM me with any questions.