Music/Movies Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by scamit, Nov 2, 2006.

1. scamit macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

I just purchased my first mac yesterday, and i am in the process of setting it up right now. Instead of copying all of my Music files to the Music folder, i created another folder on the drive called "MUSIC" and copied all of my songs there because I have two other accounts on the computer which would also want to access the music files. I did the same for my Video files.

Now, I like how in the Finder there is a shourtcut for Music and Videos on the left-hand side, is it possible to change where that link is shortcut to? As in, change it to my Music and Video folder on the main HD. The only reason I had to move the music and videos to another folder is because i am under the impression that no other users can access my own Music and Video folder, is that true?

Thanks for the help!

2. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Yes you can add the MUSIC folder you created to the shortcuts on the side of the window. Just drag off the ones you don't want and they'll poof away like the dock icons and just drag the folder over to the same area. The only way I've been able to have someone else access music on the same computer is to have their account be an Administrator account.

Hope this helps... :)

Avenger23

3. eb6 macrumors regular

The music and movie folders that come preconfigured are just normal folders, no different than the ones you create. So you should be able to just setup the other users to have access to it. Or you can just drag the icons of your new folders into the shortcut bar and delete the old ones.

4. scamit thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, i am an idiot, never thought of that. I will just delete the existing ones and create my own shortcuts or "alias" i think it is called in Mac OS X. Sorry for my shortcomings, coming from a Windows World. Enjoying my 20" Imac so far, but im finding the screen too big for me, strains the eyes. Maybe it will take time getting used to a huge screen as I am coming from my 14.1" workhorse Thinkpad. If not, I will sell it and pick up the 17" Imac. Thanks for the quick reply guys!

5. scamit thread starter macrumors newbie

Just another stupid question, so I copied the icon for the existing music link to my new music folder link, but when i drag it over, I get the blue folder with the music icon on the folder. Is there a way I can make it look like the original Music Icon and Video Icon?

Thanks!

6. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

Do a Get Info (Apple Key + I) on the original icon/folder you want and copy it by clicking on the icon in the top left corner and copy it, then do a Get Info again on the new folder and click on the blue folder icon then paste the copied icon.

Edit: You might have to drag the new folder with the new icon back to the list on the left side of the window... I don't remember if it will update it, if you change the folder icon.

7. scamit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i did exactly that but now instead of just the blue folder, I get a blue folder with a music note icon on the folder in the shortcut bar on the left. How can I get it to not have the folder and just the music icon as what comes default with Mac OS X. You know how on the left shorcut bar, right now by default, it is says MUSIC and it has a music note, is it possible to get that look instead of the blue folder with the music note on it?

Thanks

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    So I take it you don't want to use iTunes to organize your music?

iTunes has it's own folder in the Music folder.

that's the one most people use. You can point iTunes to the folder you created as well.

But, I like using the iTunes music folder. Makes life simpler.

9. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

I'm not sure how to get just the music note icon to show without the blue folder in the background. My next idea as a possible solution is go to http://iconfactory.com and see if they have music icons.

10. scamit thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thats what I did. I just searched google for some icons and downloaded some sweet looking icons. Macs put the fun back into computing!

11. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

I'm glad you got your icon fixed for your Music folder. :D I'm going to play around and see if I can figure out how to get those different icons. If I find something I'll let you know. :)