music on my site; legal matters

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dafke, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Dafke macrumors 6502

Dafke

if i want to put music on my site (the idea is that you can view pictures, and if you like you can press play and listen to a song i have chosen), could i get sued or something like that? i would be for a site that isn't frequently visited, and only by people i know (ok i am not sure about that off course but it really isn't visited often).
    The music would be really old (60's), not the newest robbie williams or something like that, do you think this is risky?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Legally I belive you can't do this but as far as punishment goes the worst that would probably happen would be that somebody would ask you to stop. I still wouldn't suggest doing it without permission.

3. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

You can visit the websites of those artists and write an email requesting permission to use the songs. Send them a URL of the site so that they can make sure there is no commercial benefit for you and from my experience they will be glad to let you use them, as long as you provide a reference and a link to the artists. This happened alot of times on a messageboard i used to visit and in all cases they were allowed to use the songs, so as long as your website is well designed and they don't feel that their songs are 'degraded', you won't have any problems. :)

4. Dafke thread starter macrumors 6502

Dafke

i like that idea, thanks for the tip!