Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
My old Windows computer breathed its last breath ( hard drive failure). I am finally going the Mac way (iMac). How can I transfer my music on my iPod (windows formatted) to the iMac. Can it be done? I also have an iPhone 4, with all my music on it, but it's also windows formatted. Any help would be appreciated.:eek:

FixYouriTunes

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
San Francisco
This is a tough one but if you are patient and are willing to go through a series of steps then you can do it.

1st - you need to make sure when you connect your iPod to your iMac to make sure it does not automatically sync.

2nd - you need to search and launch Terminal in your iMac.

3rd - you need to copy and paste the following commands separately then hit return after each command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

4th - then double click your iPod icon on your desktop.

5th - find the iPod control folder

6th - find and open the music folder

7th - copy the music to a new folder somewhere on your desktop. name that folder something recognizable like 'Music From Recovered iPod'

8th - launch iTunes and copy the music into iTunes

9th - that's it! you've recovered your iPod music!!

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Thanks for the info

Will give it a try. Was hoping to download software to do that because I am a novice when using Mac computers. Thanks again. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.