musical tastes?

Discussion in 'Community' started by howard, Dec 9, 2002.

1. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    so i hate pop...and since today's world is flooded with it i've been scrounging around looking for good new what kind of music, i think i'm gonna limit this to new music, does everyone listen too?
  2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    well what kind of stuff are you into?

hard, soft, classical, poppy (but not pop), etc?

i could recommend many hardcore/punk/indie rock bands.
  3. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.

I'll pretty much listen to anything, but I'm really into acid jazz and drum&bass type of music at the moment.

I listen to a bunch of other stuff too, but that just seems to fit my mood better I guess.
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I am more into metal

Nu-Metal bands like ünloco, drowning pool, and others are great.
    but all that speed metal crap sucks anus.;) :D
  5. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    That new Foo Fighters CD kicks ass. I just got it today (Yes, I actually bought the album)
  6. Judo macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2002
    New Zealand

Cinematic Orchestra.
    If you like Massive Attack you will like these guys.

What kind of Genres are you interested in howard???

I from little old New Zealand, and we have some excelent music floating around here at the moment. I could point you in the right direction of some good music (depending on your tastes), and you could be like the coolest kid on the block cause you would have discovered this really cool band no ones heard of before. I'm telling ya, everyone will luv ya.

Just think of all the girls you could swooon Howy!! ;)
  7. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002

That band f*cking rules!!

Get the LPs, they're so much more............damn, there's a word for it, I just can't think of it right now, but get the LP's anywayz.
  8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    My tastes are eclectic in the extreme...

My current playlists run the gamut from Audioslave to Bobby McFerrin to George Winston to Remy Zero to James Taylor to Frank Sinatra to Björk to Train...I could keep going...

I'll go for pretty much anything but Country.:)
  9. Judo macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2002
    New Zealand

Hoho. I was gonna ask if you had heard of them edvnoiw. Damn amazing group!!

What kind of Drum&Bass are you into???
    We have a big Drum and Base scene down here.
    Have you heard of Concord Dawn, Paradigm, Shapeshifter, Pitch Black. I can give you names of tracks to download for a taste test.
    They are all quite different sounding drum and base bands, I think it's Paradigm that is a live drum and base act (might be Shapeshifter) both great bands to see live.
  10. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I used to have digital cable with some killer music stations on it, that's how I heard of them.
    Since I have a slow internet connection and almost no extra money to spend, most of their tracks that I have are MP3'd remixes (damn good ones)

What I did in the meantime though was write down all the good artists I heard on a piece of paper (up to two pages already) so if I can find it I'll tell ya.
  11. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    I listen to a bunch of stuff.

Metal, Alt Rock, Punk, Emo, Ska, Electronica/Trance/House, Classical, Jazz, Spoken Word (Denis Leary kicks ass ;)) etc.

I'm waiting for the new Deftones album while listening to the "Fourty Licks" LP from the Rolling Stones. :cool:

I've even got some UK garage on my HDD....must be from all those years spent in England...

Tool, Modest Mouse...I could go on forever..
  12. Judo macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hey edvniow, what are some of your Fav drum and bass acts??

I'm not into the really dark or repedative stuff though.

How about Dj Shadow?? He came and played here a couple of weeks ago, and I am such an idiot for missing him :confused: :(
    Dj Hype played last weekend which I missed aswell.

Mr Scruff????
    Hopefully he's comeing down here to play early next year :) I'll make sure I go see him for sure.
  13. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Saves The Day - Stay What You Are
    Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head
    Beck - Sea Change

---- The 3 albums I have had on rotation now for like a month. perfect.
  14. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    japanese noise, merzbow, masonna, other experimentalists, john wiese, john cage, john nowak.. er...
  15. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    Re: Hmmm

love to hear what kinda of stuff you have over there...i like bands such as Radiohead, Coldplay, Beck, Nine Inch Nails, Aphex Twin, those are the newer ones...i like pink floyd...stuff like that...
  16. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

Oct 30, 2001
    London, UK
    Hey Judo - DON'T point them in the direction of Dave Dobbyn and Herbs, will ya?

"Slice of heaven", my butt!

17. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Totally cool choices you have there...... ;)

I'll list some that are rocking my world at the mo!!

Kruder And Dorfmeister
    Kid Loco
    Alex Gopher
    James Levelle
    Beth Orton
    Sneaker Pimps
    Carina Round
    Dandy Warhols
    Lalo Schifrin
    Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man
    Rae And Christian
    St Etienne
    The Cardigans
    State Of Flux
    Higher Intelligence Agency
    Nightmares On Wax
  18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2002
    igav, thats some good stuff there.

you should listen to sigur ros.

the notwist
    velvet undeground

then djshadow

RJD2, saw him here in bristol

mr scruff

roots manuvas

sage francis

josh martinez

rjd2 is ****ing amazing sorry you shoulkd definately give you an insight into new worlds of hip hop funk soul break beats dnb i oculd go on, p please give it a listen
  19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    my favs...

I'm pretty eclectic myself...but we've been this already...heh...

Sinatra, Coltrane, Miles Davis...

Depeche Mode, Hooverphonic, Esthero, Thievery Corporation...

Better Than Ezra, Garbage, Dave Matthews, Radiohead...

BT, Paul Oakenfold, Hybrid...

New Order, Filter, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Robert Cray...

I could go on & on... ;)
  20. dnte42 macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Hmm, limiting to new music would be a little hard for me. Oh well, here goes again:

Led Zeppelin
    The Clash
    George Winston (cool, someone else has actually heard of him ;))
    Miles Davis
    John Coltrane
    Louis Armstrong (with Duke Ellington is even better)
    The Cure
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Pearl Jam
    Pink Floyd
    The Chieftains (along with my cd of Irish drinking songs :D)
    The Beatles (of course)
    Bruce Springsteen
    Dream Theater
    Eric Clapton
    and finally Frank Sinatra fits the occasional mood.
  21. Judo macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2002
    New Zealand
    I won't.

Wow amnesiac1984, RJD2 sounds real cool. just downloaded the Smoke and mirrors song. Im off to buy the album now

:p :p
    Thnx :)
  22. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I spend Saturday & Sunday while on the computer listening to Classical Music, relaxing. Also like to listen to CD motion picture soundtracks.
  23. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

Jun 21, 2002
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    I like....
    The ORB, System 7, Saint Germain, Mushroom Jazz 1-4 - Mark Farina, Chemical Brothers,John Digweed, LTJ Bukem, Left Field, Swedish Egil, DJ Ferry, Paul Van Dyke, Morcheeba, William Oribit, Orbital, Carl Cox, DJ Tony, DJ Spun, DJ Jeno

New on my list is Amon Tobin - If you like Massive Attack you might like Amon Tobin.

The other me likes...
    U2, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Beastie Boys, Metallica, The Beatels, Pear Jam, The Black Crows, Janes Addiction, Nine Inch Nails, Talking Heads
  24. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Only one of you mentioned the Beatles. You bastards. The Beatles get the same number of votes as James Mother****ing Taylor? What is wrong with this picture? I remember the days when music actually meant something. Nowadays it's all this "Man, you gotta check out this new band called Topsoil Onion Speaker Cable, they're like a mix of industrial urban speed techno noise with a drop of alt country and a touch of ambient and hardcore ska & punk, they're ****ing awesome!!!!!!!!" ****e. And there's no "You have to listen to this because it's good." It's all "You have to listen to this because it will make you cool." What the hell happened?
  25. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    get the new Sigur Ros album Howard, its just called ( )
    and the new Beth Gibbons solo is incredible, though it is an import release if your in the US like myself. Also the latest Black Heart Procession is rather amazing.

oh and alex ant, he said new music my friend, im sure if he hasnt heard of the beatles by now, well........