Musician deciding on a laptop for home recording needs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sk2185, Sep 25, 2006.

1. sk2185 macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2006
    I'm a musician who records and edits music on my PC. I'm thinking of switching to a mac, but I'm not sure if I should spring for a Macbook Pro, or if a Macbook would be able to handle the workload. I don't edit video or engage in otherwise graphics-intensive activities (i.e. games). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    You should probably let us know which software you plan to use, but in general the Pro has no real advantages over the standard MacBook for music production other than the screen size. I would recommend a MacBook plus a second monitor, over a MacBook Pro with a 15 or 17-inch screen. Just make sure to max out the RAM and you'll be set.

Other opinions will arrive shortly.
  3. sk2185 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2006
  4. manosaurus macrumors 6502

Aug 22, 2006
    What kind of instruments are you going to be recording? What interface are you using?
  5. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2006
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I am in the exact same boat as you for home recording, (I dont do anything super fancy just clips of my practising to give me an idea of what I am sounding like that day). I have a 1.83ghz MacBook with 1gb of ram and it works perfectly, the built in microphone is surprisingly good quality, even good enough for some audition cds.
  6. knackroller macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2006
    Whatever it is, get tons of RAM. I've got 1.25GB in mine and i wish I had more.