Musicians who offer select MP3s for free?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cwright, Oct 24, 2006.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

I'm writing a paper on file sharing and its effects on album sales, and I'm looking for examples that support the fact that file sharing increases sales.

I know I've seen articles about musicians who believe this and offer MP3s on their websites for free, in order to get free publicity, but I can't remember any of the band names, and haven't had any luck on Google yet.

If anyone could give me some bands/musicians to work with, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Check out PureVolume

They have a lot of artists that would support your opinion and have free downloads.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Amiina are one. You can download all their music off their myspace, although they have only recorded one song so far. In fact, there are thousands of groups on myspace offering this...

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Every one of these 81 artists agreed to let Apple make their songs free for a week. Since their other music is sold commercially, they presumably agreed to the giveaway as a way to promote themselves, thinking that the advertising would lead to increased sales overall. I count 333 artists who have done this with the iTunes Store this over the past 3 years.

Note that the songs were temporarily free, but will subject to the iTunes DRM, whereas a free MP3 on the artist's own site would probably be freely distributable.

6. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Harvey Danger released a whole album for free online. Sorry, but that's the only band I can think of right now.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Weird Al has made a couple of his songs free and stuck the music videos for White and Nerdy on Youtube, see this ArsTechnica article for more information.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Labels big and small routinely drop and MP3 or three for just about every "artist" these days. Sometimes it's a simple download link on myspace etc., sometimes it's by way of street team "leaks".

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Alternative Tentacles has tons (and I mean TONS) of free mp3s on their site. They're a record label that promotes a lot of "spoken word" artists (including founder Jello Biafra), but they also have a really good roster of punk and underground rock bands. I discovered one of my favorite bands through the free mp3s on the site... and have purchased all of their albums as a result.

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And that's not even to scratch the surface of the world of bands that allow you to tape shows and trade at will...

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    One word

Dispatch

Their entire career was launched by P2P

Damn, that is an annoying flash overkill website....

12. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

check out sonicbids.com, or myspace. I'm on both and give away some mp3s.

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Didn't Wilco release Yankee Foxtrot online for free? Or was that just a streaming audio file?

14. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Possibly the most high-profile case of a band giving away a whole album was when Billy Corgan decided to give away a whole load of new Smashing Pumpkins material just after they disbanded, rather than let the record company cash-in on it.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Greenhaven have MP3s on their site.
    See sig. for link

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

check sig (JjR) for my bands 2 free song downloads. more are to come soon.

warning; recording done via internal mic of a macbook in a tin shed :p

17. bartelby macrumors Core

And it's a fine album too!!

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, MySpace is the place to look. A band called Dopamine on there, they gave away free CDs a Lostprophets gig and said you could download some more stuff on their MySpace... So I did... It's ace!

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

If you find musicians who do that, you also have to find them stating that they do it because they believe file sharing (I assume you're meaning the illegal kind) increases sale. Distributing free MP3 samples on a website and illegal filesharing isn't the same, in the same way that giving out free food samples in a grocery store and shop lifting isn't the same.

I'm not necessarily saying that file sharing doesn't increase sales, just that the existance of bands with free samples doesn't really do anything to support that theory.

I know at least two mostly-amateur-but-wanna-go-pro bands that have free samples on their web-sites. Diamond and Elias Jung.

20. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

And if you hear a new band and like what a band does, then you're all the more likely to buy some of their stuff in future, or go to a show.

As long as people don't start to expect all music to cost them nothing (and I can think of several of my friends who haven't paid for music in years and have tens of gigabytes of music they really like) then it's fine. It relies on people having the maturity to remember how much it costs to get music out there at all, paying for the stuff that they really value, and supporting live music. I also have a problem with copying music from bands that aren't on major labels. At that level, most of these people really need to sell their recordings or they never get enough finance to make any more

There's another site that I post on where people generally give each other the mp3s of music that they already own on vinyl. That's what I'm really interested in these days: mp3 or AAC for portability/backup and vinyl for proper listening at home.

21. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

DJ Madsen on "The God Who Wasn't There" CD soundtrack has all the songs for download at 192Kbps mp3: http://thegodmovie.com/cd.php

Awesome soundtrack! :)