Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkofthestars

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I know this is insane, but I'm trying to find an old version of MusicMatch for the Mac. I used MusicMatch on my PC before I got my iBook, and I was seriously disappointed to find out that MusicMatch quit supporting Mac. Anyway, I thought I could find a used version on Amazon or eBay, but my boyfriend brought up a good point when I mentioned it to him. He said that it would probably load in Classic because it's an older piece of software. My question is, does anyone out there know if the last version of MusicMatch for the Mac is for OS X or not? And if it is, does anyone have a copy? Before I get yelled at, I'm not asking for someone to send it to me free... I'm not interested in pirating anything (if you saw my recent post on that, you'd understand). I would seriously pay a good chunk of cash for a legitimate copy of MusicMatch if it were for OS X.

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
thinkofthestars said:
I know this is insane, but I'm trying to find an old version of MusicMatch for the Mac. I used MusicMatch on my PC before I got my iBook, and I was seriously disappointed to find out that MusicMatch quit supporting Mac. Anyway, I thought I could find a used version on Amazon or eBay, but my boyfriend brought up a good point when I mentioned it to him. He said that it would probably load in Classic because it's an older piece of software. My question is, does anyone out there know if the last version of MusicMatch for the Mac is for OS X or not? And if it is, does anyone have a copy? Before I get yelled at, I'm not asking for someone to send it to me free... I'm not interested in pirating anything (if you saw my recent post on that, you'd understand). I would seriously pay a good chunk of cash for a legitimate copy of MusicMatch if it were for OS X.

I have MusicMatch 3.0 for mac. It is carbonized and works fine in Panther. I do not remember where I got it. Try Tucows or VersionTracker. Also, if you have a windows version registration code, it will work in the mac version. It is free to download but just like the windows version it requires that code to unlock everything.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
thinkofthestars said:
When I last saw Music Match on a PC, its encoder had gotten worse and the software had gotten bloated.

iTunes has one of the best mp3 encoders on the market.

joshjohnson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Bear said:
When I last saw Music Match on a PC, its encoder had gotten worse and the software had gotten bloated.

iTunes has one of the best mp3 encoders on the market.

i use itunes regularly and think its mp3 encoder is top notch. I did notice the last mac version of MMJB has the franhaufer mp3 engine so it should be good enough to use but of course it is out of date compared with iTunes 4 but is not the bloatware of the PC version of MMJB. Of course that also means there is less to un-cripple when you enter the registration code into the software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.